Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:05 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fox 9 reporter has camera phone taken 
 Post subject: Fox 9 reporter has camera phone taken
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:01 pm 

Did anyone see Fox 9 news last night. Co-workers were just telling me that a female reporter witnessed an arrest and started videoing. Her camera was thrown into a squad and locked up. I'd like to hear more about this.
Tex

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

here ya go cousin:
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pa ... geId=3.1.1

Wonders: Will he ever learn to do things for himself??

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject: Re: Fox 9 reporter has camera phone taken
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:25 pm 
The Man

Tex wrote:
Did anyone see Fox 9 news last night. Co-workers were just telling me that a female reporter witnessed an arrest and started videoing. Her camera was thrown into a squad and locked up. I'd like to hear more about this.
Tex
It's amazing. After all that Fox 9 has compromised its professed values to please bad cops, they get no consideration in return.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Exactly what I was thinking last night.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 pm 
The Man

And I bet you were also thinking, "Too bad there wasn't somebody there with a more discreet recording device, recording the theft and coverup." I know I was.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:51 pm 
Journeyman Member

Jeepers, after listening to this guy it sounds like his only crime was being black. I mean other than having heroin and evading the po po. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

"Everybody knows: If the police have to come and get you, they're bringing an ass-kickin with them!" - Chris Rock

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uj0mtxXEGE8&feature=related"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uj0mtxXEGE8&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Remember: When recording the police, do so as surreptitiously as possible.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

The most obnoxious part was the reporters attitude: "They didn't stop violating my rights when they found out I was a REPORTER! I'm a SPECIAL person!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:05 pm 

I am not too sure if your skin color matters much after a 25 minute police chase, through city streets, you are going to catch an ass beating!

Post subject: Bit of a thread-drift, but...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:22 am 
Longtime Regular

I especially love this story for a couple of reasons...

#1: The Officer friendly vs Treptow incident, where Fox 9 had a clear bias in reporting and didn't expose the nature of the relationship between Officer F. and one of the Fox 9 staff untill they were pressured to do so

#2: Just last thursday on the "Fox 9 Investigates" segment at 9PM they did a story on wireless cameras, and how easy they are for a person with a 2.4 GHz video reciever to intercept while mobile. They played the whole story up like it was the most horrible thing in the world, like a person with a video reciever is the worst kind of peeping tom. One homeowner who put one of these cameras next to his baby's playpen used to term "pedophile" no less than three times in the course of the story. Then what looked like a fashion model wanna-be from Russia used the term "criminal" about four or five times.

Basically, they made it seem like anyone who was tech-savvy and knows electronics is a criminal in training or something*.

Looks like they got hoisted on their own petard.

(Here's the wireless camera story.)

*Yes, I do feel pretty strongly about the matter; when I get played up as a criminal, and I've done nothing wrong (and am actually acting fully within my rights), I resent anyone implying criminal behavior.

But this rant is best left to another thread.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:24 am 
The Man

MP9 wrote:
Jeepers, after listening to this guy it sounds like his only crime was being black. I mean other than having heroin and evading the po po. :roll:
Oh, I don't doubt for a moment that he's a jerk, and I strongly suspect that he committed a felony or three. But . . .

a: I don't think that the appropriate punishment for either being a jerk or committing a felony is a beating -- in public or private -- administered by people who are supposed to enforce, not break, the laws, and

b: I think that anytime that somebody goes to any trouble to hide or destroy evidence (like, say, by snatching a camera from somebody taping a beating) they're not only committing a crime, but are demonstrating that they know that what they're covering up was also a crime.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 am 

The story ticks me off that Fox 9 has to glorify a thug to get across the story that the cops stole private citizens camera!

Lose the 2nd amendment and what will protect the first!

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:17 am 
Journeyman Member

joelr wrote:
a: I don't think that the appropriate punishment for either being a jerk or committing a felony is a beating -- in public or private -- administered by people who are supposed to enforce, not break, the laws, and

1) We know he got beaten because he says it happened so it must be true :roll:
2) A TV reporter says it happened so it must be true because the TV reporter is well versed in "use of force" during an arrest.
3) Physical force never wins an argument. Just ask him to "please stop your inappropriate behavior and sit comfortably in the back seat".

joelr wrote:
b: I think that anytime that somebody goes to any trouble to hide or destroy evidence (like, say, by snatching a camera from somebody taping a beating) they're not only committing a crime, but are demonstrating that they know that what they're covering up was also a crime.

Well it doesn't appear that they destroyed anything. The images were still on her camera but they were too blurry to show anything. Taking the camera was/is a bad idea as it only makes people assume the worst.

I have never had a beating by the police and I don't know anyone who has so I'm not the most objective on this point. I'm sure there are bad cops out there but the vast majority are good folks. I think cops have a really hard job to do that is done under a microscope and second guessed by everyone who wasn't there. I tend to cut them some slack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 am 
The Man

MP9 wrote:
joelr wrote:

1) We know he got beaten because he says it happened so it must be true :roll:
2) A TV reporter says it happened so it must be true because the TV reporter is well versed in "use of force" during an arrest.
3) Physical force never wins an argument. Just ask him to "please stop your inappropriate behavior and sit comfortably in the back seat".
Well, no. We know that he was beaten, alas, because one of the cops snatched away the camera to prevent the beating from being filmed. That's not really in dispute, is it?
Quote:

joelr wrote:

Well it doesn't appear that they destroyed anything. The images were still on her camera but they were too blurry to show anything. Taking the camera was/is a bad idea as it only makes people assume the worst.
It sure makes me conclude -- not assume -- that they were hiding something. What do you think would have happened if the cops beating Rodney King had noticed the cameraman? It's not exactly uncommon for bad cops to destroy the evidence, is it?
Quote:

I have never had a beating by the police
Me, neither.
Quote:
and I don't know anyone who has
I know a few.
Quote:
[so I'm not the most objective on this point. I'm sure there are bad cops out there but the vast majority are good folks. I think cops have a really hard job to do that is done under a microscope and second guessed by everyone who wasn't there. I tend to cut them some slack.
Me, too. What I don't cut any slack for is tampering with evidence. That, by me, is very strong evidence -- damn near proof -- of mens rea.

Edited to add: that said, if there's some good reason -- not a lame excuse -- why a cop ran over and snatched away the camera in the first place, I'd purely love to hear it.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.