Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Pennsylvania Officer Punches Cuffed Suspect 
 Post subject: Pennsylvania Officer Punches Cuffed Suspect
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBD9lN5rmYA&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tBD9lN5rmYA&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

http://www.officer.com/online/article.j ... 1&id=38194

Quote:
Story by thepittsburghchannel.com

Updated: October 4th, 2007 10:59 AM EDT

BRADDOCK, Pa. --

Two people were arrested and a police officer was put on administrative leave without pay following an alleged burglary overnight in Braddock.

Exclusive video on WTAE Channel 4 Action News shows Officer Kevin Lukart striking a male suspect as the man is being led into a police vehicle early Tuesday morning.

Police said the man, who has not been identified yet, used a crowbar to break into a home through a rear window on Mills Avenue around 1:50 a.m.

He cut copper pipe from the basement, then moved upstairs to the living room, but fled when the resident of the home, James Knight, woke up and walked out of his bedroom, police said.

"I come out, turn the lights on, and the guy comes from down in the cellar and come right out the door. I just hollered, and he said, 'Oh my,' and he left," Knight told WTAE Channel 4 Action News reporter Marcie Cipriani.

About 30 minutes later, police caught up with the suspect near the corner of Sixth and Margaretta streets. (See Map)

Police also arrested a woman identified as the man's girlfriend, who they said served as a lookout for him at the house.

Neither of the suspects' names has been released yet, nor has the nature of the charges they face from the arrest.

Braddock police have not commented about the video of the officer's punch. He is on leave pending an outside investigation.

While Braddock Mayor John Fetterman stopped short of defending the officer's actions, he said it was his understanding that the male suspect may have been threatening the officer and trying to spit on him.

"From what I've been told, there was a lot of acrimony being directed at the officer, and I'd also like to point out this individual was apprehended burglarizing a home here in Braddock in the early morning hours with an accomplice. This isn't a case of an innocent individual that fell victim to police abuse," Fetterman said.

The camera angle makes it tough to see what's happening just before the man gets hit, Fetterman said.

"I'm certainly not going to excuse what is seen on tape, but I would ask everyone who views it to consider, perhaps, the context and maybe what had occurred up to that point," Fetterman said. "The officer is a human being just like the rest of us, and sometimes emotions can get the best of us."

Fetterman said he would meet with police Chief Frank DeBartolo and discuss the video with him.

"Needless to say, we don't condone police brutality of any kind. But I think it's important that we're going to investigate the context in which that happened," Fetterman said.

The police chief told WTAE Channel 4 Action News reporter Jon Greiner that Lukart hasn't had any problems in Braddock and has been a good officer in the time that he has been with the department.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
While Braddock Mayor John Fetterman stopped short of defending the officer's actions, he said it was his understanding that the male suspect may have been threatening the officer and trying to spit on him.

Except that he was standing still and facing away from the officer.

Quote:
"From what I've been told, there was a lot of acrimony being directed at the officer, and I'd also like to point out this individual was apprehended burglarizing a home here in Braddock in the early morning hours with an accomplice. This isn't a case of an innocent individual that fell victim to police abuse," Fetterman said.

Well, it's a relief to hear that the police only beat guilty people, with such guilt being decided by the officer on the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:18 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:

Except that he was standing still and facing away from the officer.

Which is an example of a common problem: Special People being given a bye for bad behavior, simply because they have A Story. What you see, over and over, in isolated incidents, is that it doesn't much matter if the story is untrue, or irrelevant, as long as there is A Story. (Over at officer.com, many of the Special People thought that it made a difference if the victim was somehow out to catch the perp in bad behavior, or if the victim had in some subtle way, antagonized the perp, or that the victim was taping the perp, as though the perp's criminal behavior was somehow excusable simply because there was A Story.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:01 am 
Longtime Regular

He needs to be brought up on charges for assault! Thats how this crap will stop.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:40 am 
Wise Elder

Isn't a punch at the end the final step in proper handcuffing procedure? It sure seems to be.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.