Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:42 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Isolated? No, find 40 new police officer posts a day. 
 Post subject: Isolated? No, find 40 new police officer posts a day.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:50 pm 
Wise Elder

They are sad, hilarious, and ... terrifying.

http://www.badcopnews.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:27 am 

They have their own Minnesota page - for 'Isolated Incidents'!

I am guilty of growing up to trust and obey law enforcement. I have to admit it is difficult to tell my kids to stand their ground and lawyer up instead of going along with the cops if the need were to ever come up.

Deep inside I still want to believe that the men and women of law enforcement are good people. The majority are, but we have to protect ourselves from the bad ones, and the good ones need to understand this if we seem uncooperative.

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 am 
Wise Elder

Tex wrote:
The majority are [good people], but we have to protect ourselves from the bad ones, and the good ones need to understand this if we seem uncooperative.

A minority can be as large as 49% (in this case, unfortunately, it is certainly larger than 10%, much larger in big cities).

We shouldn't have to protect ourselves from the police, that's still the job of the "good" police. They simply won't do it! That's why they have all lost the citizen's respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Most cops will agree that the police profession has some problems, but they ALWAYS say they "deal with it".

"Oh yeah, I see cops disobey the law but I don't hold with that. We're just like everybody else, we have to obey the law too!"

I usually then ask, "So, then, how many times have you arrested police officers for breaking the law when you see that?"

That has always been the end of THAT conversation. Nobody ever answered me.

Post subject: Re: Isolated? No, find 40 new police officer posts a day.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:29 am 

kimberman wrote:
They are sad, hilarious, and ... terrifying.

http://www.badcopnews.com/

What is truly sad is that you would find humor in this. Let's look at some of the highlights shall we?

Veteran St. Paul Minnesota Officer Hospitalized In Critical Condition After Ass-Whooping

Veteran Roseville Minnesota Police Officer Shoots And Kills Himself

Wetback Raming Car Into Minnesota House After Concerned Father Wouldn’t Let Third-World Border Jumper Near His Daughter

Payback? Ramsey County Minnesota Probation Officer Howard Porter Dies After Getting His Ass Kicked In Alley

Ramsey County Minnesota Deputy Sheriff Lori Kratzke Gets Slap On The Wrist (Probation) After Swindling $211,000 To Gamble, Celebrated The Next Day In 14 Hour Gambling Spree, Now The Dumb-Ass Is In Jail For Probation Violation :).

Man Charged With Felony Spitting Given Probation, Spit on A Piece of S++T Cop and Face Prison in MN

But hey, who doesn't find humor in the potential transmission of communicable diseases, an officer who was assaulted so severely he stopped breathing, a probation officer who was murdered, immigrants and an officer who felt no other option than to end his own life.

I'm disappointed to say the least :(

But who cares... there are more isolated incidents to post about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:11 am 
The Man

That's a legitimate criticism of the site. On the other hand, I hope you'll agree that the badcopnews.com does point to a lot of abuses -- many of them utterly unpunished -- by folks with badges, and I think it's useful for that purpose.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Case in point
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:27 am 
The Man

The Hixon case, in Golden Valley.

Short form: white guy robs bank. Two Golden Valley cops jump, handcuff, and then pepper spray a black guy. (Yup; they sprayed the black guy after they'd pointed guns at and handcuffed him. Further note: this wasn't either a or the perp; this was a law-abiding black guy who happened to be committing the crime of getting gas in Golden Valley while black.)

The cops have never been disciplined by their department.

Now, honestly, which gets you madder: the guy who runs badcopnews having a mean mouth, or these two Golden Valley cops jumping the wrong guy without any consequence from their department?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Case in point
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:30 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:

Now, honestly, which gets you madder: the guy who runs badcopnews having a mean mouth, or these two Golden Valley cops jumping the wrong guy without any consequence from their department?

Well, one would be a constitutional right, and the other is a crime. That's a hard call to make.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:43 am 

Yeah, You're right...

It's a constitutional right. Have fun.

I hope he enjoys your traffic from all the visits. I won't be there, it's BS. Sure, feel free to talk about the incidents of cops screwing up and breaking the law. It happens. Talk about the fact that you feel that they weren't punished. I can agree.

Instead of a witch-hunt why don't we talk about the lack of accountability in general, not just that of Law Enforcement.

How about the guy who was inches from entering my occupied residence and had already cut the screen on my window. Talk about how he got off on some stupid plea deal and is spending about a year in prison because of his deal (for a different charge he was apprehended for because of me, and no charges from the incident at my house). The entire judicial system is flawed. He was inches from forcing me to protect the life of my daughter and myself, committing a FELONY and he gets away with it. (This is all I will share on the open forum)

Lets not just jump on the cops "because they should know better". I guess we all should. It still seems there is less and less "carry" discussion here at twincities"carry".com. I spend less and less time here because there is less and less good info.

Oh, and the officer that ended his own life, I knew him, and that article serves no purpose on that site but to demean and bash law enforcement officers, so continue bashing folks. Hope it makes you feel good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Medic468 wrote:
Yeah, You're right...

I hope he enjoys your traffic from all the visits. I won't be there, it's BS. Sure, feel free to talk about the incidents of cops screwing up and breaking the law. It happens. Talk about the fact that you feel that they weren't punished. I can agree.

Instead of a witch-hunt why don't we talk about the lack of accountability in general, not just that of Law Enforcement.

How about the guy who was inches from entering my occupied residence and had already cut the screen on my window. Talk about how he got off on some stupid plea deal and is spending about a year in prison because of his deal (for a different charge he was apprehended for because of me, and no charges from the incident at my house). The entire judicial system is flawed. He was inches from forcing me to protect the life of my daughter and myself, committing a FELONY and he gets away with it. (This is all I will share on the open forum)

Lets not just jump on the cops "because they should know better". I guess we all should. It still seems there is less and less "carry" discussion here at twincities"carry".com. I spend less and less time here because there is less and less good info.

Oh, and the officer that ended his own life, I knew him, and that article serves no purpose on that site but to demean and bash law enforcement officers, so continue bashing folks. Hope it makes you feel good

In your sarcasm, you made a legitimate point, but didn't seem to get the point.

badcopnews, while personally distasteful to me, has a right to say what they are saying. It's in the constitution. They are allowed to say it. Really.

That doesn't mean I enjoy spending time on that site.

Handcuffing then pepper-spraying a citizen who doesn't come close to matching the skin color of the criminals is a crime. Unlawful arrest, assault, probably a few other things.

One is legal, one is not. Get it?

Quote:

As long as this lack of accountability is institutionalized and accepted by the government officials placed in authority, then your comparison is valid. Your burglar is in jail. That's accountability. The Golden Valley cops are still patrolling. That's bullshit.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:57 am 
The Man

Medic468 wrote:
Yeah, You're right...

I hope he enjoys your traffic from all the visits. I won't be there, it's BS. Sure, feel free to talk about the incidents of cops screwing up and breaking the law. It happens. Talk about the fact that you feel
Feelings really aren't an issue. In the Hixon case, no matter how you -- or I -- feel about it, it's simply a fact that the two cops weren't punished, in any way, by their department.
Quote:
that they weren't punished. I can agree.

I've got no problem with talking about lack of accountability in general. That said, I think there are ample demonstrations that there are additional problems when the perps have badges. Pointing that out isn't a "witch hunt."

This isn't a new problem. Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Juvenal asked, back some years ago.

That said, if it hurts your feelings to have these frequented "isolated incidents" pointed at, you'll probably continue to have such hurt feelings if you peruse this forum. Up to you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Let's face it, it's a sign of the times. Polarization is the name of the game and a lot of it is media driven.

Rich against poor, Republican against Democrat, police against citizen, one race/religion/belief against another.

Make a comment, someone is insulted, media picks it up and makes it into a big story.

Nobody wants to compromise or discuss and solve problems, it's all about ME!

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
if it hurts your feelings to have these frequented "isolated incidents" pointed at, you'll probably continue to have such hurt feelings if you peruse this forum. Up to you.

It's all about framing the argument. Intentionally or not, you're painting it as the poster's feelings being hurt by the facts. That may or may not be the case.

Personally, I think that abuses of power, whatever the given power, should be brought to light. I think they're reprehensible and in the case of the police lead to a decay of the public trust. They need to be dealt with and harshly criticized.

But at some point, the more fuel, read venom, you add to the fire, the more smoke and heat produced and the less focus on the underlying structure. This guy, while providing a valuable service in bringing these things to the light of day is hampering the effectiveness of his efforts by overdosing on the venom, thus pushing some people away from things they might otherwise be able to side with.

It's easy to stand tall and fight for our rights with like minded individuals. It's somewhat harder when they refuse to bathe and insist on flinging the poo they conveniently brought in their knapsack.

Facts, Reason, Logic, Precedent, Sunlight... These we need.

Venom, hate, poo... Not so helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:16 pm 
The Man

plblark wrote:
joelr wrote:
if it hurts your feelings to have these frequented "isolated incidents" pointed at, you'll probably continue to have such hurt feelings if you peruse this forum. Up to you.

It's all about framing the argument. Intentionally or not, you're painting it as the poster's feelings being hurt by the facts.
It's intentional, and I think it's a fair reading of his posting, or I wouldn't have painted it that way.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:21 pm 
The Man

Ramoel wrote:
Make a comment, someone is insulted, media picks it up and makes it into a big story.
Unfortunately -- at least I think it's unfortunate -- these common "isolated incidents" aren't often big stories; they tend not to make the news at all, and when they do, they tend to be small news.

Me, I think that a couple of local suburban cops jumping on a black guy on the report of a white guy robbing a bank ought to be big news; I think that an offduty undercover cop terrorizing a suburban family in a road rage incident, ditto; and the same for a local cop getting drunk at a downtown bar, deciding to tune up a patron, having his gun taken away, and have that worse-than-bad-judgment being dealt with by a slap on the wrist, or another training officer negligently shooting a trainee in the chest and killing her, and being punished with only a demotion and a thirty-day suspension, and . . .

. . . well, you get the picture.

I think these things are big deals; I think it's unfortunate that they're so often ignored, and I'll probably continue to say so, whenever isolated incidents arise.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.