Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Police response leaves something to be desired... 
 Post subject: Police response leaves something to be desired...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

While I'm not sure this one counts, due to the fact that it's a letter to the editor and not a bonafide news report, it's a good example of why I carry...

Edit: It's a clickable image... just click and it should open in a readable size.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Last edited by Binky .357 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 pm 
Wise Elder

No one can read it. You'll have to retype the letter.
How about a URL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I saw this in Sunday's paper. Right click and View Image, or save the image. It's big enough to read.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:26 pm 
Wise Elder

When she called back after 20 minutes, she should have said "He's terrifying the children so I'm gonna shot him if he doesn't leave." She'd have a 3 minute response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 pm 

kimberman wrote:
When she called back after 20 minutes, she should have said "He's terrifying the children so I'm gonna shot him if he doesn't leave." She'd have a 3 minute response.

+1 on that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:24 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:

She might find herself arrested for making terroristic threats. Or at least having her kids taken, and her guns confiscated. You never know.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:38 am 

Wow. That's the difference between the big city and the suburbs. Out where I live, a call like that would have 3 or 4 squads coming on the reds.

I'm sure in Minneapolis, a call like this has to take a lower priority to the stacked-up shots-fired and robbery-in-progress calls.

I don't recommend lying, but the priority of the call would likely have bumped up if they could have honestly said that they thought that the the intruder was trying to break into the house and that they were afraid for their life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:24 pm 

The last line of the column said "(MPLS) need more cops!" +1 to that!

As a 9-1-1 operator, I see what is out there both for calls and for squads. I'll address the former with the next quote, but the latter is a huge problem that isn't likely to get better. SW MPLS would be 5th Pct. basically from 35W west from roughly 394 to the Crosstown, to the respective border with the next city (France Ave on the northern end, Xerxes on the south). That's a lot of real estate, and I know for fact there have been times when there was a single squad covering that whole area, not including the Sgt. I also know by no means was this intentional, but it was the way it was due to required training as well as a staff shortage with a OT reduction in place.

The number of cops is a real problem, and the budget gets tighter and tighter. There's supposed to be an academy in January - the last academy being last April.

eLRoy wrote:
I'm sure in Minneapolis, a call like this has to take a lower priority to the stacked-up shots-fired and robbery-in-progress calls.

You are correct. A number of calls take precedence over this type, including the ones you mentioned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 am 
Longtime Regular

http://50morecops.org/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:24 am 

Will approximately 800 sworn officers, they can only field 1 car in the fifth precinct? They have some serious management problems, not a shortage of officers. They also have a chiefs and indians ratio problem. Way to many of them are not performing any law enforcement duties. There is no reason that the HCSO and the State Patrol should have to be patrolling DT Minneapolis. I used to work at FEDEX, and even station managers go out and deliver packages during the holiday rush. Minneapolis should place more officers in uniform and make them respond to calls when necessary. Gang cars, narcotics units, traffic cars, supervisors, etc... should all answer calls when needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:14 pm 

motoman wrote:
Gang cars, narcotics units, traffic cars, supervisors, etc... should all answer calls when needed.

That is a whole other issue, along with many others, that combine to make the large issue. I've seen on slower nights when traffic and K9 cars respond to regular calls mainly cuz they got nothing better to do. The issue with that is if they get into a messy call, and another call that requires their expertise happens, there's a longer delay due to needing to "trade" officers to free up the specialty unit(s).

While not being at liberty to say more, the Trib (I think it was them) ran an article about the new CAD system. Give it a read, and know it is the tip of the iceberg of the discord with MPD. The only person that thinks the new CAD is worthwhile is the director of the call center. Everyone else says it sucks, but yet we continue to use it.

At this point I'm along for the ride, but I am not planning on making the City of Minneapolis a long term employer on my resume, at least not with MPD or the 9-1-1 center.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sipowicz wrote:
While not being at liberty to say more, the Trib (I think it was them) ran an article about the new CAD system.

CAD? Linky?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Sipowicz wrote:
While not being at liberty to say more, the Trib (I think it was them) ran an article about the new CAD system.

CAD? Linky?

Computer Aided Dispatch

http://www.startribune.com/10241/story/1557956.html

Quote:
StarTribune.com
Dispatch 'upgrade' slows fire response

A new computerized dispatch system in Minneapolis touted as improving emergency response is plagued with glitches.

By Steve Brandt, Star Tribune

Last update: November 17, 2007 – 5:57 PM
Minutes can mean lives to firefighters battling flames or answering medical emergencies. So when Minneapolis spent $4.2 million upgrading its computer dispatch technology this year, Fire Chief James Clack was hoping for the faster response times the maker promised.

Instead, things are worse. Since the upgrade, firefighters are getting to fewer emergency calls within the five minutes they use as a standard.

Minneapolis dispatchers say the new system has advantages, but it also makes some illogical choices about which trucks to send, or routinely freezes or slows down, and requires more steps. The city's 911 center also has been slapped with a state worker injury citation since the system was turned on last winter.

The experience offers a cautionary tale for cities and counties flush with federal homeland security grants and looking at leading-edge technology.

"It's unacceptable," said Council Member Paul Ostrow, who learned about the problem at a recent fire budget hearing.

Fire response loses ground

The National Fire Protection Association sets a standard of arriving at the scene within five minutes for 90 percent of calls. The Minneapolis department has never hit that standard, but it has come close -- as high as 88 percent in 2004.

Clack said he had thought his department could finally hit 90 percent with the new dispatch system adopted by the Minneapolis Emergency Communications Center (MECC).

Instead, the percentage of calls for which the department arrives in five minutes has fallen to 84 percent. For a department that makes about 30 fire and 70 emergency runs daily, that means an extra six calls aren't being answered within the five-minute standard.

"I share your disappointment," Clack told the City Council budget hearing.

Improving response times was one of the city's criteria for evaluating bids and the winning proposal promised to do that.

"These are very, very complicated systems, and they require a lot of fine-tuning," said Chris Maloney, chief executive at TriTech, the new dispatching system's maker. Minneapolis is the only jurisdiction in the state to buy TriTech dispatching equipment.

"We clearly need to improve the response time," said Don Samuels, who chairs the council's public safety committee.

City officials have been touting the new dispatch system. It recently won a state-level technical award. They say it boosted the city's response to the I-35W bridge collapse. Police officials say their response times haven't suffered.

"I'd say this is a 12-cylinder computer-aided dispatch system and we're hitting on 11 right now," said John Dejung, director of MECC, the city's 911/311 department.

How the system breaks down

Jill Radeke, a dispatcher who demonstrated the system for a reporter recently, said its mapping features let her see on a screen what she previously had to visualize for herself.

The problems lie with mapping glitches and demands on dispatchers.

The system requires fire dispatchers to monitor up to six screens. The mapping technology uses algorithms to determine which fire engine can get to a call fastest.

But the system sometimes misreads maps. For example, it will tell fire trucks to turn at the intersection of Franklin Avenue and 35W, which is an overpass without ramps.

Or sometimes the computer misreads equipment. In a medical emergency, pumper engines are the preferred vehicle, but if the call comes from an address on the side of the firehouse where the ladder truck is parked, the system wants to dispatch it -- even if the pumper engine is parked right next to it.

Or it misjudges response time. If a fire truck is close to returning to the station, the computer sometimes will assign a call to a truck still in the firehouse whose crew may be asleep, even though the first truck would arrive faster.

Or sometimes it just messes up. Earlier this month, it recommended sending a truck from 2 miles away for a call that was two blocks from another station.

For police calls, the system sometimes recommends dispatching an off-duty officer, rather than an officer on patrol. It doesn't know whether a car has one or two officers, vital knowledge for calls such as domestic fights.

Repetitive strain injuries

Dispatchers say they have to remain alert to override such glitches. Officials say they make fixes as situations arise.

"Every day I think we're at 99.9 percent done," Dejung said. "It's likely there's always going to be something that pops up."

Dispatchers are less forgiving.

"Something that's costing this much should be a higher-quality product and shouldn't still have an almost daily failure rate," said Amanda Przynski, a union steward for dispatchers.

Another issue is repetitive strain injuries.

"There was an increased amount of mousing. I had carpal tunnel," said Sallie Warner, a call taker in the 911 center who retired this year.

"Instead of one little thing that you do or two little things, you have to do 14 little things. And you had to do them in the right order or it wouldn't work."

The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry recently cited MECC under a state law requiring employers to provide workplaces not likely to cause injuries. It ordered corrections by the end of this month. The city is contesting the citation.

Not every computer-aided dispatch upgrade causes major problems. Ramsey County upgraded its computer dispatch system but stayed with the same manufacturer. That lessens the stress on employees, according to Scott Williams, the county's emergency communications director.

"It's a major transition" to switch vendors as Minneapolis did, he said.

Radeke the dispatcher was more colorful. "For some, it's like a bad date -- you're much more attractive in your pictures."

Steve Brandt • 612-673-4438

Steve Brandt • sbrandt@startribune.com

© 2007 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:25 am 
Longtime Regular

It's both. There are too many white shirts and not enough blue. But there are too few officers overall as well.

The reason that the 5th is bare is that the 4th is supersaturated. And that's because the 4th gets the most calls for service.

On my ride-along a few weeks ago, an experienced officer in the 4th said on the radio, "I could use another car here." Within 90 seconds, there were about six more cars on the scene. The 4th is that densely patrolled.

motoman wrote:
Will approximately 800 sworn officers, they can only field 1 car in the fifth precinct? They have some serious management problems, not a shortage of officers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Sounds like that CAD is a POS, at least on the Fire side.

One wonders if the buyer only took a real look at the police side of things when evaluating to buy the system.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.