Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Flattening out CompTac CTAC kydex sweat shield??? 
 Post subject: Flattening out CompTac CTAC kydex sweat shield???
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:53 pm 

I carry IWB, either a G19 or P239DAK (9mm) in comp-tac C.T.A.C.s. I've flipped the tabs and tried virtually every combination I can with the settable cants. The ctac for the glock is much more comfortable to wear even though the two holsters are virtually identical. The biggest difference appears to be the sweat shields.

The glock's sweat shield is flat and lays against my side very comfortably. It doesn't dig into my waist at all. The sig's sweat shield, however, has a crease in it to allow for P239s with the decocker lever. My DAK doesn't have the decocker lever so that crease is unnecessary for my gun. The crease--although small--causes the sweat shield to poke my waist in such a way that I'm almost to the point of no longer wearing it.

Anybody know if I could flatten out the crease so the sweat shield on my sig's CTAC is more like the shield on my glock's CTAC? I'm confident that eliminating the crease will not affect the holster's ability to hold the gun as there's just empty space there since I have no decocker lever to fill in that space created by the crease. I've read some posts of people thinking about making their own Kydex holsters from scratch, so it sounds to me like Kydex can be manipulated, but I don't want to screw up my CTAC (e.g., break off the sweat shield). What would I have to do to get the kydex sweat shield to the point where I could smooth out the crease? (Someone on the kydex from scratch topic on this forum suggested a hair blow dryer would be enough to thermoform it. Anybody ever try that???)

Thanks,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Flattening out CompTac CTAC kydex sweat shield???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:24 pm 
Wise Elder

onebohemian wrote:
What would I have to do to get the kydex sweat shield to the point where I could smooth out the crease? (Someone on the kydex from scratch topic on this forum suggested a hair blow dryer would be enough to thermoform it. Anybody ever try that???)

I've heard lots of people say the hiar dryer technique works.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.