Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:29 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Been trying pocket carry,my thoughts 
 Post subject: Been trying pocket carry,my thoughts
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:05 pm 

I got a new Taurus 85 , and a Uncle Mike's pocket holster and have been carrying in my strong side front pocket for about a week.
Although the snubby is about the same size as my Kahr P-9[though slightly heavier]it prints much less in the pocket due to the rounded shape of the grip as opposed to the very squared off shape of the auto.
I am not real impressed with the Uncle Mike's rig,it stays put on the draw,but doesn't do a very good job of stabilizing the gun in my pocket,and it seems to collapse to the exact shape of the gun.If I lookm in the mirror,I can see the shape of the cylinder![yes I know,nobody but us can tell but I still don't like it] I have a DeSantis Nemisis for my Kahr that I like more and so I think I will get one for the snubby too.It has a hard laminate between the layers to prevent printing and it is much stickier to stay put in the pocket.
I have been carrying 1 speedloader too,but haven't yet come up with anything other than just dropping it the other pocket with my loose junk.
For me,pocket carry is likely to be an occassional thing,I prefer 8 shots from my auto with better sights and the ability to reload fast. I guess for me,when I can't carry the .45 I will go to the little 9mm,and when I can't carry a gun,I will pocket carry the .38.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

You should definitely look into a Mika Pocket holster. He is a real gentleman to deal with. "What do you need? Ok, I'll make it, if you're happy with it, send me a check, otherwise give it to someone else who will use it"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:19 pm 

Another vote for Mika's Pocket Holsters...great product at an exceptional price with fast delivery. Check them out at http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:54 am 

Do the holsters have enough stiffness to cover the shape of the cylinder without collapsing and prevent printing?Do you have the round bottom or the square cut,and which is better for keeping the gun upright in the pocket[I would think the square cut]?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have the round cut. I bought it because my dress slacks have round tapered pockets. The holster definitely masks printing of the cylinfer. It does make it more obvious that something is in my pocket but I'm chalking that up to paranoia since even my wife didn;t notice it and I wore it all day at home.

I think either is going to keep it upright since the grip material on its outside is going to keep it from moving around much at all (AND from coming out on the draw).

It does pretty well for re-holstering once the barrel tip is in it but in jeans you may need a hand to hold the pocket open.

The big benefit is it keeps the hammer from snagging much and makes the draw smoother. I really like mine. I'll let you know how comfortable it is for daily carry once I get my permit. For now it's just around my property and etc until I cna get to the class and get my paperwork in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just got my Mika pocket holsters today.

I got a round and square cut for an S&W J frame 2".

I wasn't overly impressed.

The edges are rough and should have a bias tape covering them. I think they print more than the Uncle Mike's I have been carrying for a couple years. One thing I did like was the spring steel band sewn in to hold the holster open. (I believe this is why it may print more than the Uncle Mike's.) I was able to holster the gun with the holster in the pocket. With the Uncle Mike's pocket holster I always insert the gun in the holster and then insert both in my pocket. I usually carry in blue jeans. The Uncle Mike's really prints less and I don't see much of a disadvantage needing to remove the holster from the pocket to re-holster it for a carry holster. (Would be nice at the range for practice.)

I also got an IWB for a Kimber 1911, 4" CDP, Officer's Grip. Even less inpressed with it.

The extensions to cover the safety against the body and the similar extension on the opposite side are way too long (maybe 1"). Edges are again rough. The holster I normally carry the Kimber 1911 in is a "Pistol Packing Inc" Maple Plain MN. Really thin leather I wet formed around the Kimber and trimmed a few places. (Again, cannot re-holster, must remove holster, insert gun and then attach to belt. On a carry holster I don't see this as much of a disadvantage for a much thinner holster.)

I did like how each holster was signed by Mika as expressly made for me! Nice touch.

I may try the "home brew" method mentioned in other posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Westhope:
thanks for the detailed review. I've been pocket carrying mine in the Mika holster for mayeb 4 hours a day for about a month. It has flattened against the gun a bit and doesn't print as much as it did when new (In my opinion). I like your idea about the Bias tape. I think that Mika would be open to suggestions.

I like the one hand re-holstering option for pocket carry when I'm going to transition the gun from storage to pocket carry or Maybe one day smart carry.

Did you notice any difference in gun stability between the square and round cut? My round cut shifts very slightly in cargo pants pockets since the pocket is so loose. I'll probably get a square cut as well and try it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:17 am 
Longtime Regular

I tried both the round and square cut in my jeans pocket. The round cut is better. The square cut didn't hold the gun at the right angle because it didn't fit the pocket right.

I have a Bianche PH158 I use in Dockers or larger pockets. It is a heavier, rough side out leather and more of a square cut that fits that pocket better. The shape of the holster has hooks on the front and back the somewhat catch on the front or back of the pocket. When drawing from larger pockets, where the rough leather is not enough to grip the inside of the pocket, I need to remember to push the holster to the front or back for these hooks to catch. The heavier leather does print less in these pockets. The Mika holster may work better for that pocket but I haven't tried it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:27 am 

I use a DeSantis Nemesis ($20 with shipping) and I am quite happy with it. I pretty much only wear 5.11 or docker-type pants.

My carry gun is a 442 wth a full-size grip - I've found that the harder-to-shoot-with "Boot grip" really does not by much concealment wth pocket carry. Results may vary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Although I dont yet have a tool suitable for pocket carry, I do own a Mika IWB for my .40... It has never seen the darkness of my holster drawer...

I had a GREAT experience dealing with Mr. Mika, and I am VERY satisfied with the holster he produced for me. On top of that, it was the first holster he had made for my particular model.

Although I had no problems whatsoever with him or the holster, I am confident that he would have made things right had there been a problem or had I not been satisfied with his product.

Furthermore, I like the idea of supporting the 'local', 'small time' business man.

I'll be calling on him in the future as my collection grows, wife willing...

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

e5usmc wrote:
I'll be calling on him in the future as my collection grows, wife willing...

Boy do I know that feeling!

words of wisdom: When you're going to spend your bonus money on another gun and your wife demands a third for a valid purpose, calling it Taxation without representation or a tarrif or tribute is NOT advised.

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

e5usmc wrote:
Although I dont yet have a tool suitable for pocket carry, I do own a Mika IWB for my .40... It has never seen the darkness of my holster drawer...

Do you have a picture by chance? Which gun is it holding? How secure is it? Thumbstrap or non Thumbstrap?

Any details would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:59 am 

Here's a picture of the Mika pocket holster. I currently use the round-cut version with my 642 J-frame, but have also ordered a square-cut model...different shapes for different type pockets. I've also got one of his back pocket knife holsters coming for the CRKT M16.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/pocket.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
e5usmc wrote:

Do you have a picture by chance? Which gun is it holding? How secure is it? Thumbstrap or non Thumbstrap?

Any details would be nice.

Sure do... Here are the pics:

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f354/e5usmc/Mika%20Holster%20SW99/

We talked about it here:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=955&highlight=

It is for my S&W99 .40, it is very secure with a sturdy belt, open design.

Very happy with it.

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:37 am 

I got a DeSantis "nemisis" for the .38 and found that it is good to have both that and the Uncle Mike's as they have different shapes and fit better in different pants.I had to go to a wedding/rehearsal dinner and the nemisis didn't fit in the pocket of my dress pants very well at all.I do prefer the DeSantis most of the time as it is more stable and seems to print less,just requires bigger pockets.

Still haven't come up with a good way to carry a speedloader though,I ordered a 2 pack of Bianchi speed strips,we'll see if that works better.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.