Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Holsters that have and havn't worked for me! 
 Post subject: Holsters that have and havn't worked for me!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:56 am 

I thought that this might work better than just replying to one of the other threads. And hopefully others will chime in so we can get a list of what has worked for some people.

When I was carrying a 1911 I used a Milt Sparks Watch-Six. It concealed well under an untucked t-shirt. It's still the only holster I have for that gun.

I've used a few different holsters for my makarov. I started with an uncle mikes shoulder holster. Laugh if you want, it was my first holster about three years ago. It worked o.k. but the straps were a pain. I later sold it.
I later ordered a leather tuckable IWB holster. The holster was nice but it just didn't fit my build. And since it used a spring clip vs a loop to hold in on my belt, drew the holster atleast once and almost drew it a number of times while practicing. Sold that one as well.
Somewhere in here I bought a cheap nylon IWB spring clip deal for $10. For the price it isn't bad and it's still in the bottom of a drawer as a back-up. Would I recommend getting one for normal use, no. As a back-up rig, yeah.
The only current holster I have for my mak is a Don Hume JIT. It's a leather OWB belt slide that's cheap and effective. Would I recommend one for an auto, YES.

For a short time I used a Milt Sparks PMK for a 3" N frame when I was vacationing Up North. The holster worked great, just the gun didn't fit my hands. Sold the holster with the gun.

My current primary carry gun is a subcompact XD. My primary carry holster is a Comp-Tac C-TAC. It's a tuckable iwb kydex holster. It conceals well under a t-shirt and you always have the option to tuck your shirt in. Comp-tac will likely get you the hoslter within a week. Got mine in 4 or 5 days from when I phoned in the order. I highly recommend this holster. However, it takes a little getting used to from a comfort standpoint when compared to leather.
I also have a Don Hume JIT for my xd as well. It was used as a cross-draw for a while but now it's a back-up for when I don't want to deal with iwb.

I'm currently trying to find a holster I like for my taurus M85. I tried a JIT but couldn't get the cylinder to stay in the holster with it on my belt. I sent the holster back and exchanged it for a Don Hume First Agent. I just got this yesterday and I havn't had a chance to try it out yet.
When I'm just putting the gun into my pocket I use an Uncle Mike's. So far it's worked for me. They're cheap and work decent.

On the subject of where to get holsters from. I got both of my Milt Sparks holsters from Lightning Arms. Great Service. All of my DH holsters were purchased from Gunners Alley. They also carry some comp-tac. GA does have a nice return/exchange policy. Gives you a chance to try something out and if it doesn't work all you are out is the return shipping.

If anyone has any questions on my holster journey feel free to either post or email/PM me.

http://www.gunnersalley.com/
http://www.lightningarms.com/

I hope this helps,
Steelheart

Post subject: Gun Belts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:12 am 

I just realize that I forgot one very important thing. You need a solid foundation for your holster.

I used a wally-world work belt when I started out. It was ok for a couple of hours but much past that the 1911 got real noticable to me.
I bought an Uncle Mikes belt with the plastic insert on clearance. It worked much better than the cheap belt but it still wouldn't get my past several hours.
When I ordered the tuckable leather makarov holster I also ordered a real leather gun belt. Double thick leather nice solid buckle. I don't claime to recall all the specs on it, just that it works nice.

If I was going to go to a local leather shop for something carry related I'd go for a belt. Good Belts aren't cheap but you will need one. I wear mine every day and no one has said a thing. The only place I'd have trouble is if I end up wearing my suit for something. It would look very out of place there. You can get dress-looking belts, I just havn't spend the $$ on one yet. Been thinking of getting a spare gun belt anyway, might be a way to kill two birds with one purchase.

Steelheart

Post subject: Re: Gun Belts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:46 am 
The Man

Steelheart wrote:
Good Belts aren't cheap but you will need one. Steelheart
Yup. Not too bad, though -- you can get the Galco Sport Belt for $39.95 at Streichers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Gun Belts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:57 am 

joelr wrote:
Steelheart wrote:
Good Belts aren't cheap but you will need one. Steelheart
Yup. Not too bad, though -- you can get the Galco Sport Belt for $39.95 at Streichers.

Unless you have an excessive midsection like I do, Galco doesn't make belts in my size. I've got one on order, getting impatient though since it's a month past the promised date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:59 am 

Hey Joel,

I remember when you taught the class I was in, you had some sort of pistol in an IWB holster. I don't remember what you were carrying, but the grip seemed to barely stick out over your waistband. I remember a black loop going around your belt. Would you mind telling what holster that was?

Post subject: GOOD CHEAP BELT
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:58 pm 
Try this for a good cheap belt, they don't look bad but won't go well with your suit...http://www.beltoutlet.com/bridjeanbeli.html.....
The price is right, and it's strong and is just a hair under 1 1/2" wide. The buckle is basic but snaps on so you can change it if you want.
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:10 am 
Longtime Regular

I've been happy with my Smartcarry http://www.smartcarry.com/ but if I am driving or sitting it sucks and I have to use something else.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:17 am 
The Man

JCinMN wrote:
Hey Joel,

I remember when you taught the class I was in, you had some sort of pistol in an IWB holster. I don't remember what you were carrying, but the grip seemed to barely stick out over your waistband. I remember a black loop going around your belt. Would you mind telling what holster that was?
Not at all -- it's the Dave Workman "Undershirt." See http://www.defensetactics.com/pages/undershirt.htm . Strongly recommended. His prices are low for such great custom holster work, and I had that position before he was kind enough to refer to me as prominent gun rights activist Joel Rosenberg, so it's not like I'm prejudiced or something.

Last edited by joelr on Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Pager Pal comes to mind as a holster that never worked well for me. I saw a demo at an Arizona gunshow and it seemed to work so slick but I was never able to duplicate the results after I bought one. With the false pager removed it does, however, make a nice pocket holster.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:05 am 

joelr wrote:
Not at all -- it's the Dave Workman "Undershirt." See http://www.defensetactics.com/pages/undershirt.htm . Strongly recommended. His prices are low for such great custom holster work.

Thanks much. Man, that's some nice stuff

So I bought an uncle mikes holster for the j-frame last night. I think it's worth exactly what I paid for it but it will work while I wait 8 to 12 weeks that it seems it will take to get a good holster for my bersa. It's just a belt holster and not well concealable. Well, wearing a holster like this one for a while while waiting for a good IWB holster should wear down that self-consciousness that someone new to carrying has so I should feel just fine when I start wearing that 45 in the IWB holster ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:13 am 
Mostly, I carry a Taurus 85 in a strange pouch holster (an old LAW concealment systems model, no longer made), which works fairly well for me. It also carries a Kahr K40 perfectly happily. (My article on it, with photos, is still down, my own pages are recovering more slowly from the server meltdown than the rest.)

I like that it has *two* belt loops; keeps it in place better. And I like that the loops snap open, so I can put it on or take it off without removing the belt (my belts often have multiple things attached to them -- bad geek syndrome).

For riding *on* the belt I've got the Don Hume slide thing for the Kahr, which works very nicely when I'm wearing enough cover to keep the muzzle out of sight.

I've got several holsters that end up riding on the *waistband* instead of the actual belt. I've decided this is a very bad idea. One of them is the FIST tuckable (in Kydex). It's just not stable, and it doesn't take advantage of the big strong stiff gun belt. Generally, anything with a "J-hook" is bad this way. And, with the hook appearing under the belt, if anybody *does* see it, it looks strange. A loop going all the way around the belt could be anything, doesn't look strange.

I've got the K&D pocket holster for the Kel-Tec P-3AT on order, I hope I like it. It holds the gun *and* a spare magazine, and should be broad enough to not fall over in the pocket (even an Uncle Mikes #3, really too big for the P-3AT, trys to fall over in the pocket).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:46 pm 

I have a Blade-Tech kydex paddle holster(http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php?cat=261) that is really comfortable to carry (and the only lefthanded kydex I could find for my p97), but decidedly not a concealable.

I have a couple Uncle Mikes sidekicks, they seem to be a mixed bag, the IWB I have suffers from squirt pretty badly for anything medium frame and above. The pancake sidekick I have holds the gun pretty close to my side, and has selectable cant. However the fact that it is a "through the hoops" holster makes it pretty inconvenient if I have to stow the firearm.

I have had my eye on something like the Fist kydex tuckable(http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K4.htm) that would allow me to tuck a shirt between the j-hook, and the holster body.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I really like the Black Hawk CQC SERPA Active Retention Holster. The carbon fiber will take a lot of abuse and still not break and the push button release is nice to.

I have noticed a little patch of finish wear on my Glock, but I think most holsters leave some wear marks on guns.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail ... id=4025&d=

Post subject: Holsters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:20 am 

For a J - Frame, I use a holster originally conceived by Dave Workman called the WKM. It was built by Mitch Rosen; expensive, but very nice and works very well. I am more than satisfied with the holster.

With a Kahr MK 40, I bought a holster called the indiscernible from Mark Garrity in Phoenix. I found this rig in a web search at www.rigrate.com. A very helpful website you can use to search for a holster by many criteria using check boxes. For just a few dollars extra, Mark happily modified the base holster to include both a clip and J - Hook that I could change at will with a simple Chicago style screw.

I also have a Smart Carry; I really like this holster for deep concealment.

I have an XD I bought early on when I got my permit, and at that time I bought a 1 1/4" gun belt and an IWB#3 from Kramer Leather. Greg Kramer makes some very nice stuff too. I seldom carry the XD these days because, like its owner, it has kind of a big butt and is difficult to conceal well... ;) I still use the belt daily though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:06 am 

Currently useing either a VM11 or a Alessi CQC for a 1911 very happy with both. Also tried a Rafter S and a older Askins Avenger but like the 2 above much better. Useing a Wilderness 1 1/2 3 stictch belt also very happy with it these are a roller adjustable buckle, With a regular gunbelt one hole seemed to tight and the other to loose. Presently looking for a holster for a new XDscm so far the XD holster junk,comp tac marginal and done hume marginal. Guess I will be getting a Alessi CQC for the XD. Also a Alessi talon for the Kahr PM9 I like it for the Kahr but not sure how it would work with a larger pistol because of the single attachment point. Would be nice to have a try it before you buy one to cut down on the holster drawer over flow.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.