Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 URGENT: Hunter "convenience" bill SCREWS metro re 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Make sure you're on Joel's activism mailing list, and watch for updates from him, Andrew, and especially Kimberman. Keep putting out the emails, and not just to Cornish...pro-gun DFLers, GOP legislators, and very importantly, your actual rep and senator.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:05 am 
Longtime Regular

rudy wrote:
I sent all the listed representatives this:
Quote:
Dear Representatives,

I urge you to oppose H.F. 1238 as it has language defining the seven county metro area as "different" than the rest of greater Minnesota. This is untrue and could open doors to anti-gun legislation, making anti-gunners think that pro-gunners agree the metro is "different" and needs more stringent gun laws than the rest of the state. This will lead to a patchwork of gun laws across the state--a nightmare. Please stop this now.

Sincerely,

and received two emails back from Tony:

Quote:
Im voting yes and I am the co author of the bill. What have you heard about it and from whom?

Tony

and about two hours later:

Quote:
You are wrong in your assumptions and I'm voting yes.

Tony

Apparently he's rather adamant...

The bill's authors did not see the "trap" for what it is, rather obviously. This is their work product,and they believed that they had been able to successfully work with the Metros; they are/were pretty proud of their work.

It's real hard to now "back out on the deal", because someone tells you you've been snookered. Especially, if you don't have the years of experience to be able to see that the anti's are using this as a strategic move.

That's ther position they are in. Pulling the bill will disappoint a lot of people, especially their rural voters. These voters won't know what has happened, except that their reps didn't get it done. What do they tell their people? That they got suckered?

Anyway, we should stick to reasoned arguements, and not the snide comments like we hear on TV and radio today, because these kind of comments convince nobody. The commentators talk for ratings, not because they care about issues. It's like pro wrestling.

The comments, "You are wrong" and "Where do you get this stuff" indicate that Rep Cornish is concerned, but has no idea what the hell we are talking about. Most of us really don't have the background to understand it either, I think. Let's not eat our own kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:27 am 
Journeyman Member

The fact that Cornish is sending emails to citizens saying they are wrong is the part that disturbs me.

Mr Cornish is a REPRESENTATIVE. His job as an elected representative is to serve the Will Of The People. I don't care if this is his pet project.
When he starts getting the volume of email, letters and phone calls that it would appear he's getting in opposition to a particular piece of legislation it is incumbent upon him to oppose that legislation on behalf of the people he serves. If Mr Cornish has received more correspondence in support of this than against it then he should say so-he has not. He only says that we, the people are wrong and that regardless of what the citizens of this State want, he is going to oppose us and vote for the bill.
That is government imposing it's will on the people.

I'm sorry but I think Mr Cornish needs a civics class.

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Tony is probably getting just as many e-mails by hunters and Fudds trying to push this bill forward. Unfortunately, many of them are unaware, ignorant, or don't care about the negative potential of this bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 am 
Journeyman Member

As I said if he is getting large volumes of contact in support of this measure I would think that at some point he would say something like
" I've received allot of feedback on this issue and the majority has been in support of passage"
The fact that he hasn't (at least that Ive heard of) I find telling. The Fudds that I know don't follow the legislature and have never contacted a Rep or Senator in their life. I could be wrong.

Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:34 am 

Dick Unger wrote:
It's just a little frustrating that he continues to deny that this could cause problems for gun owners in the future.

There is no way a Senator or Representative today can "promise" that an unsound policy decision today will not become the basis for hellishness evil in the future. What if we got a 90% DFL legislature? What if there is a large-scale school murdering (by gun) at Washington H.S. in Minneapolis? What if ... ?

He knows he can't do it. What does that make his statement? Tony won't necessarily be in the Legislature nor have more influence than his single vote. HE CANNOT UNDUE THE HARM HE IS CAUSING TODAY WITHOUT THE FUTURE COOPERATION OF THE VERY PEOPLE WHO HATE ALL GUN OWNER'S AND WHO ARE PUSHING THIS "SMALL" SELL-OUT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HURT MUCH NOW.

The NRA is guilty of colossal shortsightedness in this instance. NRA, ALSO, CANNOT GUARANTEE TO EVER GET BACK WHAT THEY ARE PRESENTLY GIVING AWAY IN THIS BILL. THEY HAVE TO POWER TO F**K U* ON THEIR OWN BUT NOT THE POWER TO FIX UP ON THEIR OWN. What new rights will they have to trade away in order to get the metro DFL leadership to agree to any fix ?????

Last edited by rudy on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:14 pm 
Wise Elder

Comments from attorney David M. Gross concerning another hidden TRAP in the Dill/Cornish "hunters convenience" bill.

Quote:

These amendments should NOT, Not, not be implemented, at LEAST as it mentions transporting an uncased firearm on a rifle range BECAUSE

1) rifle range activities have NOTHING to do with the activity of "hunting," the ONLY thing regulated by (scope and nature of conduct) the "fair chase" and "hunting" regs. The hunting regs ONLY apply to hunting activities and not to the general criminal law.

97A.021 CONSTRUCTION.
Subdivision 1.Code of Criminal Procedure.
A provision of the game and fish laws that is inconsistent with the Code of Criminal Procedure or of penal law is only effective under the game and fish laws.
Subd. 2.Authority of commissioner.
A provision of the game and fish laws is subject to, and does not change or modify the authority of the commissioner to delegate powers, duties, and functions under section 84.083.
Subd. 3.Parts of wild animals.
A provision relating to a wild animal applies in the same manner to a part of the wild animal.
Subd. 4.Dates and open seasons.
The dates specified in the game and fish laws and time periods prescribed for certain activities or as open season are inclusive, unless otherwise specified.
History:
1986 c 386 art 1 s 3; 1987 c 384 art 2 s 17

2) The uncased provisions in the criminal law, 624.7181, refer ONLY to "public places" as defined therein.

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
Subdivision 1.Definitions.
For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.
(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.
(b) "Carry" does not include:
(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;
(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;
(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;
(4) the carrying of an antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or
(5) the transporting of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun in compliance with section 97B.045.
(c) "Public place" means property owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.
Subd. 2.Penalties.
Whoever carries a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person under the age of 21 who carries a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 7, on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a felony.
Subd. 3.Exceptions.
This section does not apply to officers, employees, or agents of law enforcement agencies or the armed forces of this state or the United States, or private detectives or protective agents, to the extent that these persons are authorized by law to carry firearms and are acting in the scope of their official duties.
History:
1993 c 326 art 1 s 34; 1994 c 576 s 58; 1994 c 636 art 3 s 42

THEREFORE, adding any sort of "permission" in the hunting law creates a fissure in the "public place" scope of the general "case" requirements. Shooting ranges, by and large, are PRIVATE property. You do NOT need express permission to do that which you already can do, because it is not expressly prohibited.

These regs would create a situation whereby the latest enactment on a subject, impliedly overrules, or carves out an exception to the already established (previously) general rule through "the specific enactment, and later enactment, controls the general." STOP IT! THINK about what you are doing! You've bought into the idea that we are fighting, that "geography" is a valid issue, by trying to carve out unnecessary exceptions. Oh, My, God!!

DO NOT GO THERE, PLEASE! It is so totally unnecessary. You are reacting to an incredibly inept interpretation.

David Gross

Somebody, or MANY somebodies, is not thinking this bill through. They are soooooo happy to be getting anything the metro DFL will allow them that they've stopped reasoning at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

parap1445 wrote:
The fact that Cornish is sending emails to citizens saying they are wrong is the part that disturbs me.

Mr Cornish is a REPRESENTATIVE. His job as an elected representative is to serve the Will Of The People. I don't care if this is his pet project.
When he starts getting the volume of email, letters and phone calls that it would appear he's getting in opposition to a particular piece of legislation it is incumbent upon him to oppose that legislation on behalf of the people he serves. If Mr Cornish has received more correspondence in support of this than against it then he should say so-he has not. He only says that we, the people are wrong and that regardless of what the citizens of this State want, he is going to oppose us and vote for the bill.
That is government imposing it's will on the people.

I'm sorry but I think Mr Cornish needs a civics class.

If I may:

Senators and Representatives, either on the state or national level, normally run on their own views and expect voters to cast their ballots for them based on what they believe the said Senator or Representative will do. Almost as an afterthought does the electorate believe that the politician will respond to their wishes. This concept is the basis for politicians pandering during their speeches to all sorts of constituent views, many of them conflicting: You know, a little anti-abortion here, a little pro-abortion there. Prevailing winds seem to have an important place here. Consistency and ethics are no impediment to becoming either a Senator or Representative.

Current belief among many citizens is that political contributions are a form of bribery. The word "bribery" here is used in the layman's parlance, not in any legal way. :roll: Nevertheless, it is accepted as fact in many circles that those that contribute political donations in any appreciable amount will have their self-serving interests promoted by said politicians, over the wishes of the electorate of course.

There is not a politician anywhere on the face of the earth that does not politically "owe" something to someone. The "someone" is very rarely, if ever, the electorate as a whole. The "someone" is more likely an individual or small group.

In short, my belief is that it is never to anyone's advantage to label any politician as one of the "good" guys. They need to be watched and monitored just as one would watch and monitor a rattlesnake in the same room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 pm 
Journeyman Member

Traveler wrote:
Quote:
Senators and Representatives, either on the state or national level, normally run on their own views and expect voters to cast their ballots for them based on what they believe the said Senator or Representative will do. Almost as an afterthought does the electorate believe that the politician will respond to their wishes. This concept is the basis for politicians pandering during their speeches to all sorts of constituent views, many of them conflicting: You know, a little anti-abortion here, a little pro-abortion there. Prevailing winds seem to have an important place here. Consistency and ethics are no impediment to becoming either a Senator or Representative.

I know, sometimes I just have these fantasies about the Constitution and the principals of a representative republic actually meaning something.
Quote:
There is not a politician anywhere on the face of the earth that does not politically "owe" something to someone. The "someone" is very rarely, if ever, the electorate as a whole. The "someone" is more likely an individual or small group.

Could it be that one of those groups that Mr Cornish "owes" are gun owners who have supported him in the past?
To be clear, I am not in Mr Cornish's district and perhaps unbeknownst to me his constituents are in support of this and are willing to sell out metro area gun owners (albeit at their own future peril) for an occasional ATV ride without a gun case.

Quote:
In short, my belief is that it is never to anyone's advantage to label any politician as one of the "good" guys. They need to be watched and monitored just as one would watch and monitor a rattlesnake in the same room.
+1

Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Politicians are frustrating, but that's part of a republican form of democracy. I will say, that if you treat all politicans like rattlesnakes, you probably won't be persuasive.

It's safe to say legislators at least read this forum, I'd bet Mr. Cornish is a member.

What might he think about constituents after reading your post? Do you suppose he carefully examines your analysis of his work? Or might he blow you off as a lost cause? So you suppose, that legislators ever gather in a sound proof room and express thoughts about constituents they can't satisfy? What might they actually say? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:28 am 
The Man

Dick Unger wrote:
Politicians are frustrating, but that's part of a republican form of democracy. I will say, that if you treat all politicans like rattlesnakes, you probably won't be persuasive.
Yup. There's very few about whom I think that makes sense -- unfortunately for me, I tend to get represented by some like that. Skogie, say.
Quote:

It's safe to say legislators at least read this forum, I'd bet Mr. Cornish is a member.
I know a few do; I wish more would, all in all. Tony, alas, isn't a member, and pretty clearly doesn't read the Forum.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
So you suppose, that legislators ever gather in a sound proof room and express thoughts about constituents they can't satisfy? What might they actually say? :)

I agree that you'll catch more flies with honey and all that, but my answer here? I really don't give a damn what they would say. They work for the people. If they don't like it, they may feel free to remove their name from the ballot.

They gave up any chance of me worrying about hurting their feelings when they took office.

Now I agree, politeness is, well, professional. But their PERSONAL opinion couldn't matter less to me. If they don't represent my interests, they lose my vote, and I'll bust my ass making sure they lose the votes of those around me as well. Their choice.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:

What might he think about constituents after reading your post? Do you suppose he carefully examines your analysis of his work? Or might he blow you off as a lost cause? So you suppose, that legislators ever gather in a sound proof room and express thoughts about constituents they can't satisfy? What might they actually say? :)

My comments were in response to those that have stated that we should not rattle Mr. Cornish's cage because he is "one of the good guys". That certainly does not seem to be the case here.

My point in the most recent post is that no politician can ever be trusted on any issue. In a republican form of government no politician should ever be trusted implicitly. I hope politicians do read this forum, and many other forums, to understand all sides of each issue, and to at least give a passive ear to constituents. If Mr. Cornish has a problem in dealing with those who take issue with his stands on various bills then he probably should not be allowed to interface with people on any level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
If Mr. Cornish has a problem in dealing with those who take issue with his stands on various bills then he probably should not be allowed to interface with people on any level.

Man, you should work for Fox News. :P

Last edited by Dick Unger on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:47 pm 
Journeyman Member

Just to clarify - My emails and calls to Mr Cornish and all legislators are always polite and professional (if there's such a thing as being a professional constituent) and will always continue to be. I simply mention the bill I'm addressing articulate as best I can the reasons why I do or do not support it, and ask them to support it or not to support it. I do agree that that ranting and sarcasm doesn't get you far with politicians. A couple of my previous posts were just me venting my frustrations.

I received these two responses today from the 50 odd emails that I sent over the weekend.
From Mary Kiffmeyer:
Quote:
Given the current language, I will vote against.

Mary

From Karla Bigham:
Quote:
I will keep it in mind.

Thank you,

Karla

Veteran - US Army

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.