Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:27 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Details from HR 1022 
 Post subject: Details from HR 1022
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

I'd have opposed HR 1022 just from a glance at the title, or from knowledge of who had written it. But a glance inside at the details reveals that it is worse than I would ever have imagined:
Quote:
SEC. 3. DEFINITIONS.

(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Which semiautomatic rifle isn't based on the design of a weapon originally designed for military or law enforcement use?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Details from HR 1022
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
I'd have opposed HR 1022 just from a glance at the title, or from knowledge of who had written it. But a glance inside at the details reveals that it is worse than I would ever have imagined:
Quote:
SEC. 3. DEFINITIONS.

(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Which semiautomatic rifle isn't based on the design of a weapon originally designed for military or law enforcement use?

Drop the small text word and it reads the same and bans more, which will be next! :( :( :( :(

Muskets were designed for the military...Dog locks...Snaphaunces…. Match locks.....it never ends if they word it right.
And it looks like they've worded it right :( :( :( :(

It's not about guns, it's about Control......

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

I hate gun grabbers. :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am 

Sent letter to Congressman Oberstar this morning thanking him for his continued support of 2A. 'I am certain that you will do everything in your power to see that HR 1022 does not pass'.
I hope to see a reply.

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject: Re: Details from HR 1022
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 am 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

Might I propose an alternative?

Quote:
The use of any firearm in organized competition will create the presumption that that firearm is suitable for sporting purposes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:57 pm 

Congressman Oberstar got back to me. Took a couple of days, but it happen. He has always been given high marks from the NRA, but I wanted to tell him to keep up the good work. Here is what he said:

Dear Tex: (my edit)

Thank you for your expression of opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act (H.R. 1022). I appreciate hearing from you concerning this important issue.

H.R. 1022 would reinstate for 10 years the assault weapons ban which expired on September 13, 2004. This legislation is currently awaiting consideration in the House Committee on the Judiciary.

I am following this issue closely and will keep your views in mind as debate over Second Amendment rights continues.

If you would like to receive periodic e-mail updates on issues before Congress, please visit my Web site, www.house.gov/oberstar, and go to "subscribe."

With best wishes.

Sincerely,

James L. Oberstar, M.C.

JLO/jjr

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:33 pm 
Journeyman Member

Tex wrote:
Congressman Oberstar got back to me. Took a couple of days, but it happen. He has always been given high marks from the NRA, but I wanted to tell him to keep up the good work. Here is what he said:

Thank you for your expression of opposition to the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act (H.R. 1022). I appreciate hearing from you concerning this important issue.

H.R. 1022 would reinstate for 10 years the assault weapons ban which expired on September 13, 2004. This legislation is currently awaiting consideration in the House Committee on the Judiciary.

I am following this issue closely and will keep your views in mind as debate over Second Amendment rights continues.

If you would like to receive periodic e-mail updates on issues before Congress, please visit my Web site, www.house.gov/oberstar, and go to "subscribe."

With best wishes.

Sincerely,

James L. Oberstar, M.C.

JLO/jjr

He only says he will be watching the issue and keeping your views in mind, but not what his view is on the subject...

That letter could have, and probably has, been sent to someone on either side of the issue.

Jeff C.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tex wrote:

With best wishes.

Sincerely,

James L. Oberstar, M.C.

JLO/jjr

That doesn't sound like a very supportive statement. :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.