Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Answer these 2 ?'s if you can... 
 Post subject: Answer these 2 ?'s if you can...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:35 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have 2 questions and I'm hoping that this thread will be the proper place for them..

Who knows the 8 states that have the "Restrictive" May issue legislation.

I know that there are also 3 that have "Reasonable" May issue, but don't know which ones those are either.

Anyone have any insight into this? I've tried Packing.org, but can't find the answers I need. I just contacted the NRA-ILA and got the "8" and "3" numbers to be current and accurate.

Thanks, - I'm writing an academic paper in support of Nationwide CC..

You can't hit what you can't see.. Play racquetball 200 + MPH

Life Member of the NRA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

from www.handgunlaw.us, I see the following listed as may issue:
CA, IA, AL, NY, MA, CT, RI, NJ, DE, MD, DC, NYC, PUERTO RICO, VIRGIN ISLANDS, HAWAII, GUAM

Which is more than your 8 and 3 but I don't know the 3 which are reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

DE, CT, and AL are reasonable, almost shall-issue.

NJ, MA, MD, NYC, and (likely PR and VI, too) are quite unreasonable.

RI and HI are virtually non-issue.

DC is totally non-issue, like WI and IL. (though WI has a theoretical permit-free OPEN carry...)

CA, IA, and NY are highly variable, depending on which county you live in.

Couldn't say about Guam.

Counting only actual states, then, that's 3 reasonable, 8 not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

(Not a forum question. Moved to General Gun Discussions.)

Post subject: Re: Answer these 2 ?'s if you can...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oneshotrqtbll wrote:
I have 2 questions and I'm hoping that this thread will be the proper place for them..

Who knows the 8 states that have the "Restrictive" May issue legislation.

The NRA lists California, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island have discretionary permit laws.

Oneshotrqtbll wrote:
I know that there are also 3 that have "Reasonable" May issue, but don't know which ones those are either.

The NRA lists Alabama, Connecticut and Iowa as "reasonable..

I don't agree.

Certainly in many jurisdictions in Iowa, the sheriffs are reasonable. But in the high population counties, they are not. Which makes Iowa, from my point of view, no different from California.

(Non-resident permits in Iowa are issued by the State Police, rather than by the sheriffs, and last I checked they issued only to residents of adjoining states who had demonstrable occupational need.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:31 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks guys. It still seems somewhat hazy, but I think that this info. will give me enough to give a semi-accurate account.

You can't hit what you can't see.. Play racquetball 200 + MPH

Life Member of the NRA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:40 am 
Longtime Regular

I have talked with some Delawareans online about how they got their permits, and while it's a rather laborious process, once complete, and assuming you qualify, issuance is assured. Delawareans have to provide 5 letters of reference from neighbors, a certificate of training, and take an oath, but there aren't any cases anyone knows of of being turned down without good cause. When you get your permit there, you will get your name published in the "legal notices" section of the local paper. Delaware has good reciprocity rules, too, so out-of state Utah or Florida permit holders can carry there, too.

Jdege is right, Iowa is much like California. Having lived in 3 different counties there, I can attest that unless your sheriff is sympathetic to the 2nd A, you really have no chance at a non-occupational permit. What's more, if a new sheriff is elected, your ability to renew can be greatly effected. But many counties have pro-carry Sheriffs, including the one Des Moines is in, so a lot of Iowans could carry, if they wanted to. There's still a lot of hoops to jump through, though. All training is done through the Sheriff himself, or a trainer under contract with him. Iowa has no reciprocity at all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.