Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 A question regarding MN permits / transfers 
 Post subject: A question regarding MN permits / transfers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:25 pm 
First-time poster

I moved to Minnesota this fall from North Carolina and would like to get my MN permit.

I have a North Carolina CCW permit, and took a fine, all-day training course in May of 2004 in NC. It was taught by a senior sheriff captain who had been doing training for a long time with several organizations. The course covered safety, legal and situational issues surrounding CCW and seems to be very similar to other courses taught by approved instructors. With my experience, I ended up helping out the instructor during the range qualification process.

The Minnesota requirement for the permit is for a training course within the last 12 months, and clearly I had my last course 18 months ago.

According to the BCA website:

"26. After my five-year permit to carry expires, do I need to retake the approved firearms training class before I apply for a renewal permit?

Yes. Applicants must present evidence that they have received training in the safe use of a pistol within one year of the date of an original or renewal application."

My question is this: Does anyone offer a "transfer" or "renewal" course on the "safe use of a pistol" for people who have a valid permit and want to get one in Minnesota? I was thinking that this would be shorter and/or less expensive than doing another day course.

Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: A question regarding MN permits / transfers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:51 pm 
The Man

NC Guy wrote:
I moved to Minnesota this fall from North Carolina and would like to get my MN permit.

I have a North Carolina CCW permit, and took a fine, all-day training course in May of 2004 in NC. It was taught by a senior sheriff captain who had been doing training for a long time with several organizations. The course covered safety, legal and situational issues surrounding CCW and seems to be very similar to other courses taught by approved instructors. With my experience, I ended up helping out the instructor during the range qualification process.

The Minnesota requirement for the permit is for a training course within the last 12 months, and clearly I had my last course 18 months ago.

"26. After my five-year permit to carry expires, do I need to retake the approved firearms training class before I apply for a renewal permit?

Yes. Applicants must present evidence that they have received training in the safe use of a pistol within one year of the date of an original or renewal application."

My question is this: Does anyone offer a "transfer" or "renewal" course on the "safe use of a pistol" for people who have a valid permit and want to get one in Minnesota? I was thinking that this would be shorter and/or less expensive than doing another day course.

Thanks for your help!
I don't know if anybody does, but I don't. Most of the time we spend in my classes is on Minnesota law -- which obviously isn't covered by other states' courses -- and what to do in the unlikely event that you actually need to take at your handgun for serious, and I'm pretty comfortable with the notion of not taking shortcuts for even those well-qualified folks who have permits from other states.

Then again, folks looking to get the permits as inexpensively as possible won't be choosing my classes; I'm not sure if I'm the most expensive instructor in the state, but I'm certainly in the running.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A question regarding MN permits / transfers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 pm 
on probation

NC Guy wrote:

Thanks for your help!
We have a class on Dec 31 at 9 AM to 3 PM at the shop here. Reg cost 150.00 but on that day its 100.00

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:

The Minnesota requirement actually requires a Minnesota-approved course, so even if you took your NC training last week, it would not count.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.