Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:41 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 What is the Actual cost of background check etc for Sheriffs 
 Post subject: What is the Actual cost of background check etc for Sheriffs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:17 am 

In the law it states that a county sheriff may charge $100 or the actual cost of getting the background check and everything done whichever is less. I have a hard time buying it can't be done for less then $100.

Thoughts,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:12 pm 
Journeyman Member

In my case, it might have cost $100...not sure.
Took my "Carry" class, then went to the sheriff's office and filled out the form & 'donated' my $100 in July '05. "Oh goodie, I'll be able to carry" I thought. A week later I get a call from the sheriff's office. (The following IS the truth.) "Mr. xxx, we have a report that you were arrested in xxxx, ILL on Feb 22, 1956. Might you know what you were arrested for? The city doesn't have any infomation on the arrest." I exclaimed, "FIFTY YEARS AGO?" Sheriff---"Yes, that's what we have here." I then said that in those days I was sort of a hot rodder, lots of tickets. Sheriff---"O K, we're going to look into this a little further." Five days later I received my permit.
Big brother is alive.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Even the Scott County Sheriff, who's as pro carry as they come, charges the full $100 permit fee.
It'd be easy for any county number cruncher make these numbers come out any way they wanted to.

I am of the OPINION that it costs them nowhere near $100 to do the work getting permits processed, however. But I'm just joe citizen, don't work the for the government.

Wasn't the fee under the former permit system about $20 or $25, and had to be renewed annually? I could be wrong on that, and if so I stand corrected. But it looks like if I am correct, this way isn't any more costly to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:40 pm 

I think I paid $10 or $20 for mine. It's been a while and I'm not sure anymore.

Steelheart

Post subject: My Old Wright County Permit
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:05 pm 

Gary Miller, a very pro carry sheriff, used to charge $10 for the annual permit. Wright County now charges $100, does anyone know of a county that does not charge the $100max ?

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:24 pm 

Hell, up until Sheriff Miller (old habits die hard as I don't ever remember calling him Gary :D ) became Sheriff, Wright County never charged anything for carry permits. And they handed out lots of permits in the last 30 odd years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:43 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Was it Joel that posted (here or livejournal) the breakdown of what it costs the sheriffs?

The background check is essentially the same as the background check that is already being done for a purchase permit, and those are free. It does not cost them anything to access their computers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:54 pm 
The Man

Pakrat wrote:
Was it Joel that posted (here or livejournal) the breakdown of what it costs the sheriffs?

The background check is essentially the same as the background check that is already being done for a purchase permit, and those are free. It does not cost them anything to access their computers.
I did it, in the livejournal. The typical cost of issuing a permit is under $20 including labor costs. In some rare cases, where there is a legitimate issue as to whether or not somebody should be given a permit, the investigation may actually cost a bit more, but those are very rare. In Ramsey and Hennepin, the sheriffs had out their permit costs by doing things like billing the full costs of deputies' salaries to their permit program for deputies who aren't working on the permit program anything more than a small part of the time, creating phony costs like almost $6,000 for "copier rental" for less than six months, and so forth.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:34 pm 

I called the Finance people at Hennipen County and they are out until next week. I'll post their response.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Simian12, please let us know what you find out. I DO work for the County and I have found that it can be frustrating to get answers to apparently simple questions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.