Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 My MPD LEO expierence 
 Post subject: Re: My thoughts Cobb
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
I was under the impression that your carry permit status comes up if a cop runs a 10-25 on your plate.

What is a 10-25?

Post subject: Re: My thoughts Cobb
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:01 pm 
on probation

grayskys wrote:
squib_joe wrote:
I was under the impression that your carry permit status comes up if a cop runs a 10-25 on your plate.

What is a 10-25?
Lic. Check

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:47 am 

MN must use a non-APCO 10-code. 10-25 is "phone call" in APCO code, 10-28 is plate check, 10-27 is DL check & 10-29 is check for wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:16 am 

A 10-28, in the Sheriffs office (in MN) I used to be a reserve in, was also a plate check. 27 is DL and 29 is warrant check.

I do know that our 10 codes were different than other departments we cross-trained with. Don't know why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

10-codes vary widely. When I was an EMS in Florida, we had our own set of codes.

10-6 going away from radio to help someone
10-7 done for the shift
10-8 return from 10-6
10-9 please repeat
10-12 disregard the following message (used when you needed to BS a civilian)
10-14 lunch/coffee break
10-27 send an additional unit
10-28 send police
10-29 send fire
10-33 send supervisor
10-37 subject has "psych needs" (PC jargon)
10-54 ocean rescue (very common, in our area of ops)
10-59 subject drunk/high
10-100 pit stop (shorter than 10-14)

That's what I can remember, anyhow.

10-4 and 10-20, which everyone knows, were used, too.

We used number codes, too:
1 = routine business
2 = priority business
3 = emergency, use lights & siren

Last edited by chunkstyle on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:52 pm 
Delicate Flower

10 codes vary by Dept even within the metro area......10:56 (DUI) is common as is 10:22 lunch etc. Radio shack used to have a card with the most common 10 codes.

Also for those who have scanners here are a couple of links for local frequencies:

http://www.scanfan.com/

http://www.visi.com/~gwolfe/radio/scansorted.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What really happened to [sturmruger]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:46 am 

After reading [sturmruger]'s posting, I couldnt take it anymore and had to find out what really happened. Since the Officer who stopped him works in the S.T.O.P. Unit with me, I reviewed the squad video of the incident. [sturmruger] admitted several times on tape that HE HAD NO INSURANCE. The officer verified that he had NO insurance, and not just that he didnt have proof with him. For no proof, its just an insurance form or a ticket which is dismissed if you prove you have insurance. For no insurance, its a tow because we would be allowing illegal operation to continue, and it is our department policy to tow for that. In my 29 years of police work, I find that most times when I am going to tow a car, people get very upset. I dont blame them. When Norm told the officer he had no insurance, the officer knew he was going to be towing, and that is why [sturmruger] was temporarily disarmed.

As for the officer being rude, that also did not happen. [sturmruger] removed his post from the MNUSPSA web site, and I wish he would have here also. If someone has a complaint about a police officer, there are about 5 different places they can file it, and believe me, all 5 will investigate and contribute to the stress of our job. That goes with the territory of being a police officer. But when people outright lie, that irritates me.

One final note, most of us in law enforcement support the right to carry, and referring to us as bastards etc., does not encourage that support. Find out what really happened before passing judgement. If the story sounds like something is not right, it probably is not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:22 am 
Longtime Regular

That's quite interesting. Sturmruger, what's the story?

Jerry, could a recipient of a ticket such as sturmruger request a copy of the video? Could any person off of the street?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:06 pm 
on probation

Andrew Rothman wrote:
That's quite interesting. Sturmruger, what's the story?

Jerry, could a recipient of a ticket such as sturmruger request a copy of the video? Could any person off of the street?
You would have to file a F.O.I.A. request to the city. Must have the time,date,place, etc... there is a fee for it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:06 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Still a question, if Wisconsin doesn't require insurance, does MN require that anyone driving in MN have insurance?

I tried to read 65B.48. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Maybe my use of the word bastards was harsh. When it comes to Minneapolis and their impound lot, I have less then a warm fuzzy feeling. When it comes to any money-making scheme that the government employs, I get pissed off.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Seems pretty clear, as below!

So, yes, you are required to have insurance to drive in MN even if the car is licensed and lives out of state.

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/65B/48.html

"The nonresident owner of a motor vehicle which is
not required to be registered or licensed, or which is not
principally garaged in this state, shall maintain such security
in effect continuously throughout the period of the operation,
maintenance or use of such motor vehicle within this state with
respect to accidents occurring in this state; such security
shall include coverage for property damage to a motor vehicle
rented or leased within this state by a nonresident."

YMMV

Greg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Video copy requests, and insurance
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:49 pm 

Yes, anyone who is stopped can get a copy of their tape. By statute, the cameras which were given to the department through a state grant require the agency receiving them to also allow people to get a copy of their traffic stop. The statute allows the agency to charge a small fee, which in Mpls. case is 20 dollars I believe. That covers the cost of the guy who sits and makes the copy and the tape. I think they have given some out for free too.

As for insurance, yes you do need insurance when driving in MN. Violation of the statute 169.797 is a misdemeanor and results in suspension of your license to drive for 90days. If you are a Wisconsin resident, you may be able to keep your Wisconsin DL, however you will have a DL record and number generated here in MN, and if you are caught driving here it will show a SUSPENDED MN status, and again your car will be towed, you will get another tag, and another 90 days will add to the suspension!

Post subject: Re: What really happened to Norm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thank you for posting,if in fact you are a Minneapolis police officer which at this point I have no reason to doubt this does clear up the gun removal issue in my mind. It also clears up the towing issue. I have never had any issues with the Minneapolis Police and on several occasions have had some interesting conversations while sitting at Bobs java hut with the officers that stop in there. Thank you for posting.

jerry wrote:
After reading [sturmruger]'s posting, I couldnt take it anymore and had to find out what really happened. Since the Officer who stopped him works in the S.T.O.P. Unit with me, I reviewed the squad video of the incident. [sturmruger] admitted several times on tape that HE HAD NO INSURANCE. The officer verified that he had NO insurance, and not just that he didnt have proof with him. For no proof, its just an insurance form or a ticket which is dismissed if you prove you have insurance. For no insurance, its a tow because we would be allowing illegal operation to continue, and it is our department policy to tow for that. In my 29 years of police work, I find that most times when I am going to tow a car, people get very upset. I dont blame them. When [sturmruger] told the officer he had no insurance, the officer knew he was going to be towing, and that is why [sturmruger] was temporarily disarmed.

As for the officer being rude, that also did not happen. [sturmruger] removed his post from the MNUSPSA web site, and I wish he would have here also. If someone has a complaint about a police officer, there are about 5 different places they can file it, and believe me, all 5 will investigate and contribute to the stress of our job. That goes with the territory of being a police officer. But when people outright lie, that irritates me.

One final note, most of us in law enforcement support the right to carry, and referring to us as bastards etc., does not encourage that support. Find out what really happened before passing judgement. If the story sounds like something is not right, it probably is not!

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:19 pm 

Jerry is correct I did not have insurance at the time I was pulled over, which is not what I originally posted.

The point of this post was to discuss my interaction with the police not necessarily the consequences of my actions. I am not proud that I was driving without valid insurance and felt it would be OK to leave it out of my account of my experience. In talking with Jerry I realized that it was important because the towing dictated some of the Officers actions that night such as when he decided that he would disarm me. From what I have been told all of the officers actions that night were within accordance of the MPD policies. Now that I am more knowledgeable about MPD policy I find that I am making a mountain out of a molehill.

I think the only thing that Jerry and I might disagree on was the officer’s overall attitude that night. Looking back at the whole situation I don’t think I would now categorize the officers’ demeanor as “rude”, but it was not as pleasant as I am used to and that was what was upsetting to me. Most of the officers I have run into in the past were so jovial and friendly that I almost wanted to thank them for pulling me over. The MPD has a tough job, they just want to go home at night in one piece I can’t say I blame them for being a little more stressed then the rural departments I have talked to in the past.

I am sorry I left part of my account out, at the time I wrote this it didn’t seem important to what I was addressing which was my overall experience. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What really happened to [sturmruger]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:35 pm 
The Man

jerry wrote:
After reading [sturmruger]'s posting, I couldnt take it anymore and had to find out what really happened. Since the Officer who stopped him works in the S.T.O.P. Unit with me, I reviewed the squad video of the incident. [sturmruger] admitted several times on tape that HE HAD NO INSURANCE. The officer verified that he had NO insurance, and not just that he didnt have proof with him. For no proof, its just an insurance form or a ticket which is dismissed if you prove you have insurance. For no insurance, its a tow because we would be allowing illegal operation to continue, and it is our department policy to tow for that. In my 29 years of police work, I find that most times when I am going to tow a car, people get very upset. I dont blame them. When Norm told the officer he had no insurance, the officer knew he was going to be towing, and that is why [sturmruger] was temporarily disarmed.

Very good reporting; thanks for running the story down.

I'd rather the report -- along with the discussion of it -- stay up, myself. I think it's a real good learning moment for everybody.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.