Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:39 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Article on Vick case explains self defense law well 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:15 am 
Forum Moderator

KimberMan wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Evans could conceivably claim self defense, be acquitted of murder, but be convicted of unlawfully carrying a gun.

Maybe not. See United States v. Panter, 688 F.2d 268 (5th Cir.1982).

What happened on his retrial? The version I read online sent the case back to the lower court for retrial.

It's hard to see Vick's shooter claiming only "temporary" posession for self defense, too, unless somehow he got the the gun after their initial altercation with Vick. I haven't read the intimate details and timelines of the Vick case, so perhaps there is some theory that could be constructed for temporary posession.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:15 am 
Longtime Regular

How cool is it that we have a legal scholar who specializes in gun law, right here among us?

Too freakin' cool.

Thanks, Joe.

KimberMan wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Evans could conceivably claim self defense, be acquitted of murder, but be convicted of unlawfully carrying a gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:29 am 
The Man

mobocracy wrote:
KimberMan wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

What happened on his retrial? The version I read online sent the case back to the lower court for retrial.

Frequently -- not always, but frequently -- if a criminal case has been hanging fire long enough for the Appeals Court to rule, and then it gets sent back to for trial, the retrial doesn't happen. I don't know about this case, though.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.