Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:21 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 MN State Parks 
 Post subject: MN State Parks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:39 pm 

I know this has been discussed in other threads but I thought it fit better here even though it isn't a businees. (Joel or Andrew, if you disagree please remove this post).

Have you ever sat back and thought about how alot of the serial murderers around the country commit their crimes in State Parks or dump the bodies in State parks? I really think the time has come to press the issue and try to get a clarification from the DPS on whether or not the Carry Permit Trumps the DNR or not. Like most of you, I don't want to be the test subject so I am going to put in a few calls and see if I can't get an affirmative answer on this. There is no reason that those of us who are good law abiding citizens should not be allowed to protect ourselves from the scum that might wish to do harm to us in a State Park.

The State might as well put up great big neon signs at the park entrances advertising "Hey, underieables that want to do harm to others please come shopping in here for your victims. They are all unarmed and easy targets"

The more of us that start making inquiries into this the sooner we will get an actual answer. I know a few of us carry in state parks under the "don't ask/don't tell" policy but there is no reason we should have to sneak around like that. Let me know your opinions.

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:04 pm 
1911 tainted

I agree, so whom at the DPS would we target? Would it be Scott Wiggins, but I'm not sure if he is BCA or DPS. I would like to target one person, highest in management as possible so that we get a response, be it good or bad, but someone with authority.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Scott sounds like a good place to start
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:49 pm 

I think that Scott has been very polite and professional to us, why not start with him and see what kind of reaction we get? I don't think it would hurt to contact Mike Haatch's office and Gov Pawlenty either but not until we at least try to go throught the DPS. I think it's a waste of time to even try to contact anyone at the DNR, somehow I don't think they would be very open to discussing the issue and they aren't the ones we want making unoffical decisions for us.

Here is the contact info for Scott Wiggins at DPS:

Name: Scott D Wiggins
Title: State Prog Admin Manager Sr
Agency: Public Safety Dept
Address1: 445 Minnesota Street Suite 1000
Address2:
MailStop:
City/State/Zip: St Paul, MN 551015000
E-Mail Address: Scott.Wiggins@state.mn.us
Telephone Number: 651/282-2252

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:34 pm 

Has anyone attempted to contact him yet? Are we looking for several people to contact him or do we let 1 person attempt and see if we get an answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:54 pm 
The Man

dcwn.45 wrote:
Has anyone attempted to contact him yet? Are we looking for several people to contact him or do we let 1 person attempt and see if we get an answer?
My own take is that, if this is to be pursued any further (and I think it should), it should start out with a friendly call or email from one person, and somebody who he has had a cordial professional relationship with. (That excludes me; I've never spoken to the guy or exchanged email with him.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Draft and email
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:58 am 

I can draft an email to send to Scott and post it here and if everone agrees that it contains what we want it to say I can send it off or we can suggest ammendments.

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject: First rough draft
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:28 pm 

Dear Mr. Wiggins,

I would like try to get an official ruling on the MN State Park Carry dilemma. Currently MN Statute 6100.0800 states that all guns carried in a State Park in MN must be unloaded and in a case. MN residents who posses a valid MN Permit to Carry a pistol should then be allowed to carry in State parks under MN Statute 624.714. Specifically The portion of MN 624.714 related to exclusivity which refers to the process of issuing permits to carry firearms and constrains governmental officials from setting up procedures that vary from those spelled out in the statute.

I believe the MN DNR is a governmental official and they should not be allowed to setup procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City officies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.

Could you please try to clarify this issue and get back to me with your thoughts and how it shold be handled.

Please add your comments and suggestions of what should be changed, ommited, or added.

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Last edited by durbin6 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:20 pm 
Journeyman Member

typo- "DRN" to DNR

I'm sure you would have caught it, but typos in formal stuff just drive me CRAZY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:57 pm 

BigRedBowtie wrote:
typo- "DRN" to DNR

I'm sure you would have caught it, but typos in formal stuff just drive me CRAZY!

Fixed the typo and all of the mispellings too :!: Thanks

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think 6100.0800 is a rule or a regulation, not a statute or a law. As I have been told a statute trumps a regulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:25 pm 
Delicate Flower

Maybe add :arrow: please clarify........... "if you are unable to, please direct me to the individual or agency that can resolve this issue."
Or something to that effect.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 2ND draft
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:51 pm 

Dear Mr. Wiggins,

We would like try to get an official ruling on the MN State Park Carry dilemma. Currently MN Rule 6100.0800 states that all guns carried in a State Park in MN must be unloaded and in a case. MN residents who posses a valid MN Permit to Carry a pistol should then be allowed to carry in State parks under MN Statute 624.714.

Specifically, the portion of MN 624.714 related to exclusivity which refers to the process of issuing permits to carry firearms and constrains governmental officials from establishing procedures that vary from those spelled out in the statute.

In addition, MN Rule 6100.0800 notates in Subpart 1 Restrictions, (A). that one exception to the rule is "by special permit from the comissioner" as stated below implies that our Carry Permit would qualify as a "special permit from the commissioner"

Subpart 1. Restrictions.

A. While in a state park, or while in or within 200
feet of a forest recreation area, except as provided in subpart
2 or by special permit from the commissioner, it is unlawful for
a person to:

(1) possess explosives or fireworks of any kind;

(2) possess a firearm, unless the firearm is
unloaded and completely contained in a gun case expressly made
for that purpose, which is fully enclosed by being zipped,
snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, or unless
unloaded and contained in the trunk of a car with the trunk door
closed;

It is also the belief of myself and other interested parties that a Statute in MN overides a MN Rule, thus MN 624.714 should overide MN Rule 6100.0800 and thus allow the carry of handguns in and about state parks by valid MN permit to carry holders.

We also believe the MN DNR is indeed a Governmental Agency and they should not be allowed to establish procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City agencies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.

Could you please try to clarify this issue and get back to me with your thoughts and how it should be handled. If you are unable to help with this could you please direct my request or contact me with the information of the person or agency that can help resolve this and give an official ruling, specifically an agency other than the DNR please.

Sincerely,

Jerry Durbin and interested parties of MPPA

Please add your comments and suggestions of what should be changed, ommited, or added.

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Last edited by durbin6 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2ND draft
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

durbin6 wrote:
We also believe the MN DNR is indeed a governmental official and they should not be allowed to setup procedures that vary from the statute just as MN state, County, and City officies with the exception of courthouses cannot post those buildings or properties.

Should it be Governmental Agency? and not Official

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:49 pm 
Delicate Flower

Agree DNR...Govt. Agency

Looks Good :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:54 pm 

ttousi wrote:
Agree DNR...Govt. Agency

Looks Good :D

Done :!:

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.