Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:45 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ValleyFair is posted... kind of 
 Post subject: ValleyFair is posted... kind of
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:02 pm 
Journeyman Member

For those of you who are interested, I was at ValleyFair just yesterday, and they are POSTED. However, the sign is not in compliance. There are two signs located on pillars next to the ticket-taker/turnstyles. These pillars are too far away to be in compliance if you enter at certain turnstyles; the coverage radii are just too small to span the entire threshold.

The only reason they got money for my enterance into the park is because my parents paid for it. And the only reason I entered the park was because it was my brothers "birthday event". They did however get less money than they ordinarily would have because I "claimed" I had a $10 off coupon from a previous visit that I had forgotten at home. There doesn't seem to be an accountability of these coupons because they gave me the discount anyway. Also, I did not purchase food or souveniers while on site. They got $0 from my pocket book. I didn't even so much as mistakenly drop a penny on the ground.

Anyway... after all this.. concealed was concealed. I carried anyway. :twisted:

Post subject: Re: ValleyFair is posted... kind of
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:21 pm 

edschminke wrote:
For those of you who are interested, I was at ValleyFair just yesterday, and they are POSTED.

No, really??? We had no idea. :shock:

Since you evidently despise the place, feel free to go elsewhere. We were there too, and we had a GREAT time. Without carrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Geez China, why the attitude? :?:

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Reading the original post, it sounds like edschminke had to go to a preplanned even he couldn't politely decline so he attempted to get as close to No Guns No Money" as possible.

I seem to remember some posts by ChinaKay which displayed a lot of detail about the security staff in the park which would hint to met some connection to the park. I could see where someone with contacts / friends within the park could read it as an "attack" on the park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 am 
Longtime Regular

That's what I was thinking, but connection or not, a posted place is a posted place. It's not about whether someone thinks THAT particular place is OK to be posted, it's about removing my right to defend myself and my family.

I have two kids, 12 & 14. Not going there unless the signs come down.

I too, read the original posters comments being as close to no guns=no $$ as he could get, though I doubt I would have tried to scam the discount.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Aquaholic wrote:
That's what I was thinking, but connection or not, a posted place is a posted place. It's not about whether someone thinks THAT particular place is OK to be posted, it's about removing my right to defend myself and my family.

I too, read the original posters comments being as close to no guns=no $$ as he could get, though I doubt I would have tried to scam the discount.

I agree on the discount issue. To me, that was taking it from a principled response to scamming in retribution.

My work is posted. It's probably not compliantly posted. I don't have a choice anyway since the employee handbook has policies on weapons for employees. I disagree with both the posting and the policy but I would still bristle if someone posted about my work especially i they had intentionally scammed "us".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Aquaholic wrote:

Let's remember that the sign in no way forbids anything, okay? :)

Staying away on principle is fine, but carrying past a sign may often be the expedient, practical, sensible and legal thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Let's remember that the sign in no way forbids anything, okay?

I know that very well, Andrew, and you are absolutely right, it IS the principle. There have been times when it would have been inconvenient to not patronize a posted business, and yes, I have in those few instances. Most posted businesses are however, not places I need to be, as they have clearly stated they don't wish to have my business.

Besides, I really try to avoid being around ignorant people, and that's the only excuse I can give for a business owner to put up such a sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Aquaholic wrote:
I really try to avoid being around ignorant people...

Good luck with that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:

I agree on the discount issue. To me, that was taking it from a principled response to scamming in retribution.

My work is posted. It's probably not compliantly posted. I don't have a choice anyway since the employee handbook has policies on weapons for employees. I disagree with both the posting and the policy but I would still bristle if someone posted about my work especially i they had intentionally scammed "us".

I wouln't worry too much about "scamming" a discount at VF. They are pretty liberal about that anyway- you almost have to try to pay full fare.

My work is posted too- but the signs appear to comply with the standards, but the signs are for non employee visitors. Our employee handbook has banned weapons including guns and knives, for far longer than the 2003 carry provisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:11 pm 
Journeyman Member

I started this thread because I seem to remember somebody asking if ValleyFair was posted. I was confirming that fact. The speculations of the other members were correct. My intent was "No Guns = No Money". It was a family event that I could not decline and not cause tension within future family gatherings. So I went and minimized the amount of money they recieved. It was a "principle" thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:21 am 
Longtime Regular

What they lost on your "bogus" discount, they made up with their ridiculous parking fee. Only place I can think of south of the river that charges for parking. Ren Fest doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

Good point, brew.. but I didn't drive my own car. I rode with the family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Had to go to VF today, wife's company had a "mandatory fun" day. SW624 w/ a Smartcarry. No problems. There were signs that were too far to the left and right of the ticket booths for me to read as to what they were saying without my glasses.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Mandatory fun day- that's a good one.

I love it when other people decide for me what's fun.

How about a mandatory fun day at the pistol range?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.