Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Eden Prairie Costco - Non-posted 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

I find enough similarities (and the exact same wording in some cases) to believe this came out of some offical manual.

Copied from a thread at The Firing Line:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... p?t=224926

Costco official statement - they are anti-gun, anti-CCW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

up until my local Costco posted a "no firearms" sign recently (since my last visit), i figured they were not anti CCW. i saw the new sign when i went to Costco last night though. i sent them an email to ask about the sign and let them know i didn't agree with it. here is Costco's reply:

-------- Original Message --------
X-Account-Key: account12
X-UIDL: UID1552-1135903131
X-Mozilla-Status: 0011
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
Return-path: <memberservice@costco.com>
Envelope-to: x@blackopssec.com
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:16:55 -0600
Received: from [170.167.3.101] (helo=mx1a.costco.com) by megs10.100mwh.com with esmtp (Exim 4.52) id 1GYNqI-0000GA-Pp for x@blackopssec.com; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:16:54 -0600
Received: from fw00099fz1.dmz.costco.com ([192.168.64.210]) by mx1a.costco.com (8.13.6/8.13.3) with ESMTP id k9DEDJJm009669 for <x@blackopssec.com>; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from msw00099p07.corp.costco.com by fw00099fz1.dmz.costco.com via smtpd (for mx1a.dmz.costco.com [192.168.64.31]) with ESMTP; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:16:48 -0700
Received: from msg00099p04 (unverified) by MSW00099P07.corp.costco.com (Clearswift SMTPRS 5.2.3) with ESMTP id <T7b4cf03debac14111eb60@MSW00099P07.corp.costco.com> for <x@blackopssec.com>; Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:16:30 -0700
Message-ID: <5360588.1160748989803.JavaMail.EGAINsvc@msg00099p04>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:15:33 +0000 (GMT)
Reply-To: memberservice@costco.com
To: x@blackopssec.com
Subject: Re: Warehouse Questions or Suggestions [#37946]
Mime-Version: 1.0

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that “we don’t want you.” It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Costco Wholesale Corporation
memberservice@costco.com

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Last edited by jac714 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wonder how they're keeping out all those guns?

Metal detectors? Nope.
Pat Downs? Nope.

How then?

Wonder how the person at Costco corporate would respond?
(Probably claim the sign forbidding guns is all that needed to keep the bad guys unarmed).

:roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

JUST IN; News Alert from KABA :wink:

http://keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives ... leid=13332
8) 8)

Post subject: A letter in reply
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here is what I have so far. I am sending it to Mr. Wong, and also to the CEO and the Senior VP in charge of the Midwest. Comments, criticism and advice are welcome and encouraged.

Thanx folks.

I am writing in response to your letter dated October 15, 2006 regarding Costco’s “No Firearms” policy. In your letter you alluded to my concern that my civil rights were being violated. I have no idea where you got that idea, when Brian told me about your policy I merely asked for a copy of it and to get my money back. My concern is actually much simpler than that, and it is something that you can easily correct. I just want you to let people know about your policy.

I have been a member for almost two years, I have shopped your stores at Coon Rapids, Saint Louis Park and Eden Prairie more than a dozen times, and I have been armed each and every time I visited your stores. I have never seen any signs stating that you ban guns, I saw nothing about this policy in any membership material, and before last Sunday, I have never had an employee tell me about this policy. Checking online, I see that some of your stores in other states post signs stating that guns are banned. Minnesota statute allows this as well, and it would be a good way of showing that this is truly your policy, and not just some lip-service attempt to avoid liability.

My fiancee and I are members both of Costco and of Sam's, and we have been debating whether to drop one of you. Learning about your firearm policy has made that decision much easier. Please cancel my membership, but let me know if your policy ever changes, we might consider renewing our Executive membership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:14 am 

I just called the 1-800-774-2678 number and expressed what we have been talking about on this thread. The lady listened and tried to give some explantion that not allowing CCW in their stores is their policy. However I asked why they do not have it posted at the front door? She could not answer that but explained it should be posted at the service desk. I am not sure if they have it posted there or not? Anyway, she basically told me that the correct place to express my concerns on this would be on their website under "customer service" and not over the phone to her. I agreed that I would do that but I asked her to pass on to the "higher ups" that we are 40,000 strong and growing her in Minnesota and we will go elsewhere if that continues to be their policy. Now I have to go to their website and get typing. I will post what they respond with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Posting at the customer service desk would not do it (see below). I also think she doesn't want to hear all these people calling in (which is costing them money) when an email is cheaper and easier for them to ignore and delete.

MN statute 624.714 Subd. 17. Posting; trespass. wrote:
(a) A person carrying a firearm on or about his or her person or clothes under a permit or otherwise who remains at a private establishment knowing that the operator of the establishment or its agent has made a reasonable request that firearms not be brought into the establishment may be ordered to leave the premises. A person who fails to leave when so requested is guilty of a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this subdivision is not subject to forfeiture.

(b) As used in this subdivision, the terms in this paragraph have the meanings given.

(1) "Reasonable request" means a request made under the following circumstances:

(i) the requester has prominently posted a conspicuous sign at every entrance to the establishment containing the following language: "(INDICATE IDENTITY OF OPERATOR) BANS GUNS IN THESE PREMISES."; or

(ii) the requester or the requester's agent personally informs the person that guns are prohibited in the premises and demands compliance.

(2) "Prominently" means readily visible and within four feet laterally of the entrance with the bottom of the sign at a height of four to six feet above the floor.

(3) "Conspicuous" means lettering in black arial typeface at least 1-1/2 inches in height against a bright contrasting background that is at least 187 square inches in area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Let's remember, please, that the whole Costco situation is a tempest in a teapot:

* Permit holders may legally carry there, just as they always have.

* Bruce, should he choose, can continue to legally carry there. He can even carry openly. At any time, he can be approached by a Costco employee, be informed of their policy, and be asked to leave. He can then, again, leave a cart full of groceries for them to restock, and still have broken no laws.

It is just barely possible that Costco might consider changing their policy, but let's remember what that policy essentially is: Politely ask people who are open carrying not to do that again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:51 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
It is just barely possible that Costco might consider changing their policy, but let's remember what that policy essentially is: Politely ask people who are open carrying not to do that again.

I think what irritates me is that companies don't have the fortitude to just post in compliance with the Minnesota Statute. They want it both ways. They don't want to advertise that they are anti-carry but they are willing to ask a permit holder to leave if spotted.

My e-mail to the CEO will be if you don't want permit holders to carry in your stores be up front about it. I'll return my membership and life goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I'd ask for a refund of your membership dues.

My wife and I have a Executive account for our small business and I'm thinking about giving them a call this afternoon. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:01 am 
Longtime Regular

lumbering.buffalo wrote:
I think what irritates me is that companies don't have the fortitude to just post in compliance with the Minnesota Statute. They want it both ways. They don't want to advertise that they are anti-carry but they are willing to ask a permit holder to leave if spotted.

It doesn't make me feel all nice and fluffy either. :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.