Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:28 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Hello Everyone! 
 Post subject: Hello Everyone!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:55 am 

Hey folks I am dropping in to say hey and show my face so to speak. I found this forum via phorvik and Old Dude as I am a transplant from Glock-Guns.com Hope everyone doesn't mind that I live in Pa. Afterall we are all in this together regaurdless of the geographical location!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Good morning TK! 98.3% of the folks here are great people, then you also have OD and I :)

I am going out today to get some "wolf" ammo :)

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to this forum, Trauma King. Hope you enjoy. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:45 am 
The Man

Trauma King wrote:
Hey folks I am dropping in to say hey and show my face so to speak. I found this forum via phorvik and Old Dude as I am a transplant from Glock-Guns.com Hope everyone doesn't mind that I live in Pa. Afterall we are all in this together regaurdless of the geographical location!
Oh, absolutely. While the political focus here is on what's going on in Minnesota -- and I do want to keep it that way -- the technical/practical/hobbyist issues are the same pretty much everywhere, and some of the political stuff translates very well.

Speaking of which, can you tell us all a little about the permit process in Pennsylvania -- is it really is quick, easy, and inexpensive as it appears to be? And have there been problems with it? (Right now, here in Minnesota, we have an almost Byzantine system, in which people must take training with a certified instructor whose organization has been certified by the state, rather than just applying, as I understand you do there. For a variety of reasons, some good and some bad, many people who sell instruction are opposed to making instruction recommended, rather than mandatory.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:13 pm 
Delicate Flower

Welcome Trauma King!....... :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

20min / $20, I am still shaking my head in disbelief. Did you know, I applied for a MN DL & they clipped one corner of my PA DL & gave me a yellow form. Absolutely outlandish! DL's should be issued same day just like PA and everyother state I have ever been to. Same with Permits to Carry, WTF, will all the cost & training and B.S. Back in PA I had a free gun range, outdoors, but with great backstops and covered benches. . . . 10, 25, 50, & 100 yrds. Yup, it rocked, 20 mins from my front door. Exactly the amount of time it took the local Sheriffs office to go from saying, "how can we help you" to "here's your permit to carry, have a nice day".

There are things that I miss from PA. Hey, Trauma King if you are looking for a house in the Pittsburgh area, I have one getting ready to sell.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:34 pm 
on probation

Trauma King wrote:
Welcome and hope you enjoy this forum.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:22 pm 

joelr

I repied to your request for the skinny on Pa permits but as all can see it has evaporated into oblivion! Did I accidentaly post it in another inappropriate area? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:28 pm 
on probation

Trauma King wrote:
joelr

I repied to your request for the skinny on Pa permits but as all can see it has evaporated into oblivion! Did I accidentaly post it in another inappropriate area? :oops:

Try posting again here and Joel will see it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:54 pm 

joelr wrote:
Trauma King wrote:
Oh, absolutely. While the political focus here is on what's going on in Minnesota -- and I do want to keep it that way -- the technical/practical/hobbyist issues are the same pretty much everywhere, and some of the political stuff translates very well.

Speaking of which, can you tell us all a little about the permit process in Pennsylvania -- is it really is quick, easy, and inexpensive as it appears to be? And have there been problems with it? (Right now, here in Minnesota, we have an almost Byzantine system, in which people must take training with a certified instructor whose organization has been certified by the state, rather than just applying, as I understand you do there. For a variety of reasons, some good and some bad, many people who sell instruction are opposed to making instruction recommended, rather than mandatory.)

In Pa, you go down to the local Sheriff's department and fill out the needed paperwork including any CCW.s you currently have. I had recently moved from Maryland where I possessed a Permit to carry a handgun ( In Maryland there is no such thing as a CCW, you can either carry a handgun or not open or concealed it matters not) then I waited about 10 days ( some jurisdictions issue it on the spot with no wait) When I picked it up the Sheriff came out and shook my hand and welcomed me to the "Free World" I was very impressed at the PRO GUN attitude of his office. He did have one question for me...How in blazes did you obtain a maryland permit. I advised him that I am a FSO ( Federal Security Officer) and that we recieved one as a courtesy to maryland as it made the state feel better even though we were Federal working on a federal site
I have CCW in Pa,Md,NH and Utah
I highly reccommend that if you have the opperatunity to obtain a Utah permit to do so it has the most"bang" for the buck and is good for 5 years. In addition you do not need to have an existing state permit to obtain one only the required class. also they do not issue you a "non-resident" permit but a UTAH permit that is identical to the residences permit.
Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:12 am 
On time out

Trauma King wrote:
He did have one question for me...How in blazes did you obtain a maryland permit.

Haha, yeah, I pretty much stopped reading in wonderment for a minute when you said you had a permit from MD! The Sheriff must have been surprised, too.

When I lived in Maryland, I was far too young to get a permit anyway. But I remember how strict their laws were.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.